Help! Wedding Cheesecake Covered In Fondant.

Decorating By ank220 Updated 24 Oct 2012 , 9:11pm by ank220

ank220 Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 3:42am
post #1 of 5

We have a friend that wants a wedding cake made out of cheesecake and covered in marshmallow fondant. Has anyone done this before? Any tips or tricks on getting it to look lovely and not ruin the fondant?

I think I will need to coat the cheesecake in a layer of frosting for the fondant to stick. Would I use buttercream, or a cream cheese frosting? I've already experimented with a mini-cake and trying to cover it without any frosting and it melted the fondant, so that's why I am assuming I need to cover it in some kind of frosting layer. I haven't experimented on that part yet.

Also, since I will need to keep it refrigerated as long as possible - are there any tips on dealing with possible condensation? Thank you so much.

4 replies
SaltCakeCity Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 5:23am
post #2 of 5

I've actually done a tier of two thick layers of cheesecake covered in buttercream and then MMF. I had did a few thin coats of buttercream around the cake to make sure that was a solid wall between the fondant and the cheesecake icon_smile.gif

It held up beautifully and looked like the other tiers. I don't usually have issues with condensation so I can't help you there but I did keep the cake in the fridge as long as possible before the wedding reception. I hope that helps at least some!

ank220 Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 10:28am
post #3 of 5

Thank you very much! That is very helpful and eases my fears a bit. How far ahead did you bake and then decorate the cheesecakes?

SaltCakeCity Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 5

I'm not sure how long I waited but I know they were completely cooled before I frosted them. I would think 1 or 2 days before the wedding.

ank220 Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you again! I am now very excited about the wedding cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%