Buying Gel Colours In The Uk

Decorating By scarletspy Updated 23 Oct 2012 , 4:22pm by Godot

scarletspy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarletspy Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 11:52am
post #1 of 3

I've been baking for a little while now and I've been using Sugarflair gel to colour my fondant. So far, I don't love the results. I don't find the colours as bold as I would like especially the black.

I've seen some online tutorials using Americolor to turn fondant black and I was blown away by the difference in results when compared to the Sugarflair. The only roblem is that in the UK, Americolor is sold as non-edible.

So, all the UK bakers out there, what brand on gel colouring do you find give the best and boldest colours? Has anyone tried the ClassiKool gel and had favourable results? I saw it on amazon but there are no review.

All advice welcome!

TM

2 replies
 Oboeplayer  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oboeplayer Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 3

I like the Squires Kitchen colours. If you take a look at Lindy Smith's website she shows a few pieces of actual paste which have been coloured and the range of colours which can be achieved with each one, which is really useful.

Godot  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 3

I hate Squire's. I hate the colours and I hate those damned cone-shaped pots. I rarely use it.

I love Sugarflair and use it for just about everything. Black is a hard colour to achieve if you use food colouring.

Why not purchase black sugarpaste? Renshaw make a nice black, brown, and a couple of nice reds. I always use purchased SP for those colours as I haven't the time, inclination or energy to sit around and knead tons of paste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%