Buying Gel Colours In The Uk

Decorating By scarletspy Updated 23 Oct 2012 , 4:22pm by Godot

scarletspy Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 11:52am
post #1 of 3

I've been baking for a little while now and I've been using Sugarflair gel to colour my fondant. So far, I don't love the results. I don't find the colours as bold as I would like especially the black.

I've seen some online tutorials using Americolor to turn fondant black and I was blown away by the difference in results when compared to the Sugarflair. The only roblem is that in the UK, Americolor is sold as non-edible.

So, all the UK bakers out there, what brand on gel colouring do you find give the best and boldest colours? Has anyone tried the ClassiKool gel and had favourable results? I saw it on amazon but there are no review.

All advice welcome!

2 replies
Oboeplayer Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 3

I like the Squires Kitchen colours. If you take a look at Lindy Smith's website she shows a few pieces of actual paste which have been coloured and the range of colours which can be achieved with each one, which is really useful.

Godot Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 3

I hate Squire's. I hate the colours and I hate those damned cone-shaped pots. I rarely use it.

I love Sugarflair and use it for just about everything. Black is a hard colour to achieve if you use food colouring.

Why not purchase black sugarpaste? Renshaw make a nice black, brown, and a couple of nice reds. I always use purchased SP for those colours as I haven't the time, inclination or energy to sit around and knead tons of paste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%