Help! Uneven Bake!

Baking By jen_0_123 Updated 23 Oct 2012 , 11:02am by Evoir

jen_0_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen_0_123 Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 8:54am
post #1 of 4

I bake around 8 cakes twice a week. These are large celebration cakes in a professional oven. These have been made the same way for many years and occasionally the bake would be patchy as in the picture, but lately this has been happening a lot more often, maybe every 2 to 3 bakes. We have tried different people baking the cakes, different flour and different butter / margarine but so far none of these seem to have made any difference. Please can anyone tell me what causes the dense patches in cakes like the one below.
LL

3 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 9:42am
post #2 of 4

Any changes to your baking powder or eggs? Also, have you had your oven thermostat checked lately?

jen_0_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen_0_123 Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 10:25am
post #3 of 4

Hi, there have been no changes to the eggs or baking powder. The oven does get serviced, and often it's not the whole bake thats effected. It is also cakes from different parts of the oven each time so I didn't think it was the oven. It does usually have this pattern to it though, or mainly in the centre. I have tried mixing the cakes more and less, but neither of these seem to have any impact either.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 11:02am
post #4 of 4

Hmmmmm, that's a tricky one. And you haven't changed your recipes at all. I hope someone else can give you some insights!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%