Wood Grain In Buttercream ?

Decorating By jlcsgirl Updated 29 Jan 2013 , 5:19am by jlcsgirl

jlcsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcsgirl Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 12:03am
post #1 of 4

I have a 1/2 sheet cake due Nov 2 , a woman put her order in today. Her grandfather is turning 90 and retiring from a lumber yard. She wants the top of the cake to look like a wood plank. Any tips for how to achieve a wood look/coloring using buttercream ? Any advice is graciously accepted. Thanks & God Bless

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 4:44am
post #2 of 4

I made a sushi cake(original done with fondant). I needed to use b/c. To make the table look like wood(i used the colors of the fondant one) . I covered my cake with chocolate b/c.Then i added several shades of darker chocolate b/c to my first batch. I just swirled the colors into this first batch.Then i took a small angle spatula and swiped over and thru first color of chocolate. (get my picture?) I worked with it until i was happy with it. To make it look like planks, you could mark it up to look like that after icing it. I am sending a pic of my cake. It could help you get there. I hope it does. Its hard to explain sometimes, but i hope i have helped you.You may want lighter color, so just go from there.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1311371/sushi-cake

3D-Sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3D-Sweets Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 12:03pm
post #3 of 4

I did a wood-grain using dark brown gel-color mixed with vanilla and applied *very lightly* with a fan brush. If you've let your buttercream crust you should be able to get a good effect.

jlcsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcsgirl Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 5:19am
post #4 of 4

Gosh I'm terrible!!!    Haven't replied back till now.  Forgot my password for the site. LOL  Thanks for the suggestions, in the end the cake turned out pretty good and customer was very happy with the result. I'll post a pic of it soon Lord willing   :)  Thank you both again, your suggestions were most helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%