Packing Gumpaste Flowers For Travel Or Shipping

Decorating By eava Updated 23 Oct 2012 , 11:13am by Evoir

eava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eava Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 4

I have to bring gumpaste flowers down to the Dominican Republic for my cousin's wedding cake. Does anyone have any suggested techniques for how to wrap them and package them? I am going to carry them on, I was hoping to put them in my carryon just because it has wheels and I know I can get it in the overhead bin. I don't think the package will be small enough to go under my seat, I have 18 pretty large flowers, 10 smaller roses and carnations, and about 6 dozen filler flowers. I've flown with gumpaste decorations before, but never with flowers this large and delicate. I'm cross posting this to the How do I? board. Thanks.

3 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 4

I just took flowers from Ontario to BC for my sisters wedding. I packed them in a 12" cake box padded with toilet paper. Then I packed the 12" box in a 14" box. I wanted to have a little buffer room in case the sides got bumped.
I called the airline and got the dimensions for under the seat. The box fit perfectly under the seat in front of me and I could keep my eye on it. I was worried about the overhead because too many people shove stuff in and out of it.
I called ahead to see what both the airlines and security were ok with.

Not only did the flowers make it out intact they also made the flight home!

Good Luck!

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 10:41am
post #3 of 4

I just travelled with 24 gumpaste roses. I wrapped them in toilet paper and put each one in a cupcake slot (1 box=12 flowers) and then put layers of tp over top of all the cupcakes. I packed them in my suitcase amongst clothes and checked the bag. They all made the trip. (Along with 4 cakes, 60 cupcakes and chocolate cupcake decos!)

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 11:13am
post #4 of 4

I have sent boxes of gp flowers to the USA from Australia. With roses I wrap the base of each rose in tissue paper then pop one flower into one styrofoam cup, using the wire to push thru the base and wrap around the side a bit to hold it in place. Then I pack each cup into a bubble-wrap lined box. I haven't had one breakage!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%