irishgrl77 Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 7:39pm

Hi everyone, I am new to the forums, I am an amateur cake decorator. I am in charge of making my aunt's cake and since it is going to be rich chocolate cake, I am looking for a filling that is vanilla and is light. I keep trying to make French Cream,but, it never works out for me. The last time I made it, it went from whipped...a little bit...to soup. I kept doing over and over, but it kept turning to soup. Buttercreme is just too sweet, so I was thinking of making Cheesecake as the filling....I don't know what to do.

If you use Cheesecake, as a filling, is it the regular Cheesecake recipe or is it a tad different for fillings? ouch.gif

5 replies
Queen15 Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 5:35pm

Could be over whipping???? I am only just starting out too. Have you tried a ganache instead of buttercream icon_smile.gif

gmfcakes Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 5:59pm

For my chocolate cakes I use whipped cream frosting from Joy of Baking recipe.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/WhippedCreamFrosting.html

And I use Swiss Meringue Buttercream to cover. HTH.

Marianna46 Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 6:16pm

I just started using a combination of vanilla instant pudding mix made with half the milk mixed with stabilized whipped cream (Dream whip of Bettercreme mixed with a little melted gelatin). I don't have time to write the recipe down right this minute, but if you PM me, I'll be glad to tell you how I did it. Light, durable and not too sweet! Oh, yeah, and easy.

irishgrl77 Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 7:08pm

The Joy of baking video was great. I must have been adding the ingredients in the wrong order or something...the French cream just didn't work out, but the whipped cream seems to be exactly what I am looking for .

carmijok Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 7:28pm

This is delicious. They call it 'Bavarian Cream' but to me it's more like a whipped mousse filling. I use it all the time: Just use vanilla pudding. I made a pistachio filling last week by using the pistachio pudding.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/easy-bavarian-cream

Quote by %username% on %date%

%body%