How Far In Advance Can I Make Iced Cookies?

Baking By darlaslade Updated 27 Nov 2012 , 2:44am by Nani25

darlaslade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlaslade Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 6

Making RI iced cookies for party...How far in advance can I do this?

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 6

The cookies can be baked weeks ahead and frozen. They can be iced several days ahead but better if done just one day ahead.

Some have gone so far as to ice them completely - making totally *SURE!* they are dry before freezing them. If you do that you have to use wax paper between layers (not more than 3 layers) and be sure you set them out single layer to thaw. Make sure they are in a covered box that is wrapped in plastic for thawing.

3D-Sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3D-Sweets Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 6

I prefer to ice my cookies two days ahead, just in case. Gives a little more time to dry and allows for fixing/replacing "oops" cookies. Definitely love the ability to freeze the baked cookies and thaw (kakeladi's advice is spot-on) before icing.

darlaslade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlaslade Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 6

Thank y'all so much, really appreciate it!!

JoesRight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoesRight Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 6

My Grandma always used to make iced cookies dozens at a time, and put them in tupperware, separated by a layer of plastic wrap. If you make your own icing on the stove instead of using the store-bought stuff, the icing will melt in your mouth if you eat them cold. That's what Christmas tastes like at our house.

Definitely freeze them, use wax paper or plastic to separate them, but don't put them into the cold until the icing is completely cool.

Nani25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nani25 Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 2:44am
post #6 of 6

where's is grandma's recipe :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%