Ganache Has Taken Over Buttercream...

Decorating By missamylynn06 Updated 24 Oct 2012 , 10:05am by Danilou

missamylynn06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missamylynn06 Posted 20 Oct 2012 , 4:54am
post #1 of 10

Im a huge ganache fan. Makes cakes look incredible and makes decorating for me a lot easier. Im glad I started to do this for my fondant cakes instead of buttercream, but makes me wonder if people miss having buttercream under their fondant ...has anyone had a client tell you they didn't want a ganached cake and wanted buttercream instead?? icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Alwayzmakincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alwayzmakincake Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 10

I haven't had anyone say anything. I have also decided to only use ganache under my fondant cakes. It makes it so much nicer and clean looking! thumbs_up.gif

mariana_vcnt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariana_vcnt Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 3:21am
post #3 of 10

okay...so I'm very new at this....and I ALWAYS use buttercream under fondant. To be honest i HATE it!!! it's sooooo messy! but now that you mention that you use ganache under fondant, now that sounds very interesting. Do you just pour the ganache over the cake and let it set? or do you use a ganache that is not runny (sorry so asking a question that may be very obvious to others...its just that I'm very new at this and don't know much yet)

missamylynn06 Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 3:44am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariana_vcnt

okay...so I'm very new at this....and I ALWAYS use buttercream under fondant. To be honest i HATE it!!! it's sooooo messy! but now that you mention that you use ganache under fondant, now that sounds very interesting. Do you just pour the ganache over the cake and let it set? or do you use a ganache that is not runny (sorry so asking a question that may be very obvious to others...its just that I'm very new at this and don't know much yet)

Heres a great tutorial for ganaching a cake and getting great edges on your cake:
http://www.inspired-by-chocolate-and-cakes.com/decorating-a-cake-perfectly.html
http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/tricks-to-covering-tall-cake-in-fondant.html

KSue6101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSue6101 Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 3:47am
post #5 of 10

I'm also interested in finding out about using ganache more often. Please explain the procedure and type of ganache used. I've only used chocolate. Thanks!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 10

isn't it awesome? I usually don't even give it a lot of attention that the cake will be coated in ganache. MOst of the time people are impressed that the cake will ALSO have ganache, so it is a bonus. If there is a real buttercream lover, i make sure to point out that there will be four layers of cake and three fillings with a buttercream on top and that the ratio of cake to buttercream/filling is spot on.

missamylynn06 Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSue6101

I'm also interested in finding out about using ganache more often. Please explain the procedure and type of ganache used. I've only used chocolate. Thanks!

I learned how to ganache a cake from this youtube videos from Michelle Cake Designs. Theres three videos so make sure you watch them inorder icon_smile.gif

KSue6101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSue6101 Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 1:58am
post #8 of 10

Thanks so much for the help. Love building on the basic cake courses I've taken, so I'm really excited finding out about different techniques. icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 9:18am
post #9 of 10

Ganache is a fantastic surface for fondant, easy to work with & tastes amazing. I never use buttercream, not even as a filling.

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 10:05am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by missamylynn06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSue6101

I learned how to ganache a cake from this youtube videos from Michelle Cake Designs. Theres three videos so make sure you watch them inorder icon_smile.gif

I follow Michelle on youtube as well!....Especially her ganache with her cream to chocolate ratio. It's spot on!!!....My next goal is to make a gumpaste peony flower as good as hers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%