Please Help - Dessert Buffet For 250 People

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 21 Oct 2012 , 2:21am by Evoir

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 6

I didn't know which forum to put this in.

My Son-in-law is a pastor and the church is having a silent auction. The theme is "sweet silent auction" and he has asked me to bake goodies. I can use the church kitchen and the church will be purchasing the supplies and providing help for me.

My question is how much of each should I make? I will be cutting into small bite size pieces.

Chipotle Brownies
Peanut Butter Bars
Pumpkin Bars
Harvest Apple Muffins
Chcolate Chip Cookies
Mini Muffin Spice Cakes

I don't mind doing this at all, I would give that church the world if I could. Also are there any other suggestions? I never baked for this many people.

Blessings!

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 6

3-5 pieces per person. Some will take more and some will take less.

The brownies, PB bars and pumpkin bars can all be frozen but do NOT cut until the day of. Stick each cool cake onto foil covered cardboard and stuff the whole thing into a freezer zip bag. Stack after freezing. Ice after thawed.

Spice cake could be baked closer and iced before freezing. Cookies in plastic tubs OK to freeze.

Muffins need to be baked as close to serving as possible--like day before if you can reheat them onsite (and warm would be great).

Have fun--this will be a great contribution.

And ask one person that you REALLY trust to organize the coffee--this is where I got stuck the first time I catered a donated work breakfast.

Echooo3 Posted 20 Oct 2012 , 5:45am
post #3 of 6

BakingIrene, thank you for your great info. I have to say though, I won't be able to bake ahead of time. I don't live anywhere near there and won't arrive until the day before so all of this has to be done the day before or the day of that is why I have kept the recipes so simple.

Have I agreed to more that I can handle? The event is on a Saturday at 7:00 PM and I won't get there until the day before on Friday around 5:00 PM. You know, just typing these words make me think I might be in trouble.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 20 Oct 2012 , 8:53am
post #4 of 6

Hi Echooo3. Two things I'd be researching now:

1. An exact list of the church kitchen equipment, including fridges.
2. An exact list of people who will be helping you, and the people they will be happy working with in a small group of say three people each.

I think the job can be done with a lot of planning in advance, and with your role being mainly of supervisor. If you can organise small groups, you can email the nominated leaders the recipe their group will be in charge of producing, and also ensure that each group is responsible for bringing all the necessary ingredients to make their item on the day.

You can then be coordinating the oven use and supervising preparation. Make sure you also consider all the packaging you need to get the products packed neatly in the selling portions.

I think it can be done, but mainly as I have outlined through the process of delegating and managing the baking day(s). That's how I'd approach it anyhow icon_smile.gif

HTH!

Echooo3 Posted 20 Oct 2012 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 6

Evoir, your tag line med me laugh. That's how I feel about cake pops!

The items I am baking are not for sale, they are to bring the people in the doors so thankfully I will not have to package them that will save a lot of time,

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 2:21am
post #6 of 6

Phew! Packaging sure does add a lot of time to the process icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%