Talk To Me About Cake Boards Between Layers

Decorating By 2girlsmomma Updated 24 Oct 2014 , 2:46pm by leah_s

2girlsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girlsmomma Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 3:10am
post #1 of 34

Okay, I understand that I need a cake board between each layer on a 3 tiered cake. My question is this: If the bottom of the cake board isn't greaseproof, won't the icing touching the bottom make the cardboard soft, defeating the purpose of using it? Or am I supposed to be covering it somehow?

33 replies
Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 3:30am
post #2 of 34

The Wilton cake boards are greaseproof icon_wink.gif

But you're right, regular cardboard will mush at one point so wrapping them in cling wrap or foil will prevent that.

HTH!

2girlsmomma Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 3:38am
post #3 of 34

But looking at the Wilton boards(which I have) the top is slick white and obviously greaseproof, while the bottom seems to be regular cardboard finish?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 3:51am
post #4 of 34

It all depends on your frosting, how long you are stacking, how heavy, and how high.

If it is a two to four tier cake with most traditional buttercreams under 24 hours you won't have a problem. There should be little moisture available in frosting anyway unless it is perishable, like whipped cream.

If you are doing more cake, a heavier cake, or much longer periods of time, you should consider more durable support systems. They are readily available.

2girlsmomma Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 4:05am
post #5 of 34

I'm using good ol' made-with-shortening frosting on a 3 tier cake, each tier approx. 4" high. I'll be decorating it Friday night or Saturday morning and it is being picked up around 1:00, but the next day she will travel 45 miles with it for the party Sunday afternoon/evening.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 5:01am
post #6 of 34

Do yourself a favor and purchase foam core boards - standard depth. Cut your boards from that with an Xacto knife. Have been doing this for many years with huge success. Drive a wooden barbeque skewer down through all layers through the foamcore boards to the base and it will travel well. Oh and making sure the cake is cold - right out of the fridge doesn't hurt either.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 6:02am
post #7 of 34

I use foam core boards too, but wrapped in foil. I'm not sure about them being food safe and all that so just to be sure, I use food grade aluminum foil. I buy them at the dollar store and cut them to size myself.
I also drive a sharpend wooden dowel for top to the bottom so it goes thru all the layers of cake and foam core board. I have never had a problem this way.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 6:35am
post #8 of 34

I use masonite boards , so don't have a problem with mushing

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 6:46am
post #9 of 34

I use regular old cake cardboard rounds. Never had a problem. Ever.

Lalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalady Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 34

I've used regular cardboard cakeboards. However, I do use parchment paper between the tiers so the icing doesn't stick to the cakeboard. I've not had problems so far...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 34

I've used regular cardboard cake boards for decades with not a problem - ever.

And REALLY so yourself a favor and get SPS for support.

2girlsmomma Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 4:31pm
post #12 of 34

Thanks for the replies everyone! They all made me feel sooo much better.I went ahead and used the Wilton boards with supports and a center hammered into the board. It left here in one piece, hope it got there the same!

missamylynn06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missamylynn06 Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 6:04pm
post #13 of 34

I've used regular cake boards and i haven't had a problem yet.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 5:29am
post #14 of 34

For those of you who have only used cardboard cake circles, what about larger tiers, such as 12" or 14" rounds that are four layers of cake, three layers of filling, buttercream and fondant? These cakes are heavy as heck!

I've been waiting for Hobby Lobby to put foam core on sale at 50% off for 6 months now and the best I've seen is 30% off. I buy hundreds of sheets at a time when they would be 50% off but my supply is down to my last few sheets and man, this stuff is expensive. I can't find a wholesale source either.

I would really appreciate a few recommendations of sources to buy really sturdy cardboard circles that can handle really heavy tiers. Thanks!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 6:34am
post #15 of 34

All my cakes are just on regular old cake cardboard circles, including my 14" round, 5" tall, 4 layers of cake with SMBC, covered in ganache and fondant. I only use straws for support. I live and deliver cakes in San Francisco. I have never had a problem!

I only use foam core for carved cakes and floating tiers.

sweetcheeks1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcheeks1961 Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 12:23pm
post #16 of 34

Hi, Newby here!!!  What is "foam core"?????/

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 3:56pm
post #17 of 34

I've been cutting foam core circles for years too. Sometimes it a gall darned obnoxious pain in the arse, but they make me feel secure. 

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 4:38pm
post #18 of 34

AI use Tuff Boards.

AZCouture Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 5:04pm
post #19 of 34

Tell me you have smooth sides tuffboards....all I've ever seen are scallop edged, and if you know of smooth sided, I'm switching!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 5:31pm
post #20 of 34

AZCouture...I just would like to mention, the other day I needed a smaller size foam core circle...and I only had an eight in., since I did not wanted to cut myself making what I had smaller, I used a very fine cheese grater all around the edge! Now you have to do this in your patio or outside because it is a little messy but it gives you a very rounded edge.

Hope this helps someone!icon_smile.gif

Ciao!

AZCouture Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 8:36pm
post #21 of 34

So you used a cheese grater on a tuffboard? Or you grated down an 8" foam board? That's interesting either way. I googled again, and only see scalloped tuff boards. :(

DeniseNH Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 9:37pm
post #22 of 34

My vote is with foam core boards.  You can cut them yourself and they hold a ton - no need to cover with anything.

DeniseNH Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 9:38pm
post #23 of 34

My vote is with foam core boards.  You can cut them yourself and they hold a ton - no need to cover with anything.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 9:42pm
post #24 of 34

I generally use SPS.  If I use a foam core board, I cover it with freezer paper or Press n Seal, don't want the styrofoam in contact with food.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 1:39am
post #25 of 34

That's pretty gross that people use foam core without Press n Seal or some other food-safe covering on it.

Would you serve your children dinner on a posterboard you bought at the corner drugstore?  Methinks not.  

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 4:08am
post #26 of 34

AIZCouture... I grated down a 8" round foam core that I had. But I think if I had to cut the round myself from a "board"  I would now finish it with the cheese grater!

Ciao!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 4:37am
post #27 of 34

I purchased a drywall circle cutter the other day after reading a thread here that it's good for cutting foam core board. Haven't tried it yet, hope it works cos cutting foam core boards with an x-acto knife is getting old fast.

AZCouture Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 5:44pm
post #28 of 34

AI use the flat orange exacto knife. I forget what it's called. But it's sturdier for me.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 8:55pm
post #29 of 34

I use tufboards too, and you can just cut the scalloped egdes off with a pair of scissors if they bother you. I just did that on a board for a wedding cake. No worry about them bending or being greaseproof, but they were having supply problems for a while. They seem to have caught up now.

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 10:40pm
post #30 of 34

When I made my first tiered cake I used thicker cardboard rounds. The tiers were quite heavy so the cardboard supported each layer when they were moved around and didn't buckle, they were silver on top and white on the bottom. I don't remember the thickness of the cardboard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%