What Is This Shape Called And How Do I Cover It With Fondant

Decorating By CakeEnvyKS Updated 18 Oct 2012 , 1:30pm by CakeEnvyKS

CakeEnvyKS Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 4:26am
post #1 of 5

I'm talking to a client about doing a 3-tiered cake with the tiers carved like this:

I've seen cakes like this before and think they're so pretty. But what is this shape called? Is it a pedestal, like the dummy?

The cake we're discussing would be 3 tiers, the bottom would be the foam dummy, and then 8" and 6" cakes carved to that shape. I'm using a very dense chocolate cake that is excellent for carving. All would be covered in fondant. Since the tiers narrow in the middle, how do you cover that shape properly and still have it look smooth? Is it just a matter of stretching it more at the top and bottom? I'd Google it but since I don't know what this shape is called, I can't find it! Thanks for your help.

4 replies
cheatize Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 4:53am
post #2 of 5

Corset or hourglass?

CakeEnvyKS Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 5:08am
post #3 of 5

Ah, that's it! Now I can find all kinds of info. Thank you!!

cheatize Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 11:33am
post #4 of 5

You're welcome!

Isn't it irritating when your brain won't retrieve info you KNOW is there?

CakeEnvyKS Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, yes it is!! Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%