Melted Chocolate Volume (Skull Mold)

Decorating By LisaPeps Updated 19 Oct 2012 , 6:01am by LisaPeps

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 6

I bought a skull mold to make a chocolate skull. It holds 3 and 3/4 pints (about 9 cups) of water. Does anybody know how much melted chocolate I'd have to use to fill it? Preferably in ounces or grams!

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 6

I would say it's pretty close. Are you going to make the skall solid of just as a shell?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 6

Google says the density of semi-sweet chocolate is 1325 kilograms per cubic metre.

Uhhhh...better convert your volume to litres and then you can multiply by 1.35 get pretty close.

I confess that I looked just because I wanted to see what came up. I tried the Callebaut site first but they didn't give anything useful there.

LisaPeps Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 8:09am
post #4 of 6

I'm going to do it solid as I'm pretty sure it would crack when de-moulding if it was a shell.

3 3/4 pints is 2.130 pints, that multiplied by 1.35 is 2.8755. So I think I'll do 3 kg to be on the safe side. Thanks for your help!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 6

For such a large size, the shell needs to be one centimetre thick but it will not crack. Let the filled head cool for about an hour, then dump out through the neck after you have made a few small holes with a paring knife. Let it cool down overnight in a cool room and it should not give you any trouble.

You even can pour and mold and cool in two parts, and join after with melted chocolate. Remember that the solid head WILL shrink more and give you more chance of trouble.

LisaPeps Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 6:01am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for your help Irene, I'll give your way a try first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%