Help! Fondant Figure Question

Decorating By Shylex1617 Updated 16 Oct 2012 , 8:27pm by FullHouse

Shylex1617 Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 5

Hi!
I am making a cake for a 10 yr old boy's birthday in Nov. He does karate and wants a boy dressed in a GI doing a push up on the top of his cake. I thought I could use rice krispy treats but that hasn't worked out. Everything I have seen online about making a figure out of fondant, usually has the figure sitting down. What do I do to make this one in a push up position? I'm stuck! Thanks!

4 replies
Lynne3 Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 5

Do you have time for your figure to harden?
Mix fondant with tylose powder or gumtex.

One easy armature is with straws. Remember, I don't know how big of a figure you are making.
For a small figurine you can use any L shaped thing like one of those straws that bend. Use 3 straws. One will go to right arm. One to left arm. One from foot to head. Royal ice them together.
Put wooden skewers into the long part of the straws, and separate skewers into the short part. Before you put the skewers in push in some royal icing and let dry overnight.

Leave the skewers long that will be for the arms to adhere into the cake.

Shylex1617 Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 5

I have only been using fondant, I will have to try adding tylose powder. I thought I had the boy figured out using pipe cleaners but my fondant took awhile to try and it cracked at the legs and the bends of the arms. I'll try the straws! Thanks!

Goreti Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 5
FullHouse Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 5

Depending on the size, just use either toothpicks, lollipop sticks, wooden skewers or dowels in the arms for support. Leave them extending out a bit so you can use them to attach the figure to the cake. I ususally use either fondant mixed with gum paste or tylose for my figures, makes them a bit stronger and they dry so they hold their form better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%