Is It Possible To Make A *healthier* Decorators Icing?

Baking By Chaudy Updated 16 Oct 2012 , 5:56am by KoryAK

Chaudy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chaudy Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 1:04am
post #1 of 4

Hi all! Maybe this has been posted before, but i'm the type of baker who likes to substitute fat in baking for plain yogurt or applesauce, and I always use whole wheat or buckwheat/oat flour, and typically I will use stevia, or sometimes honey or maple to sweeten. Now I know as well as the next person, a good moist dessert cake or cookie is just so much better without substitutions.

Now my question is: Are there any healthier options for a decorators icing? I mean, I just use crisco/shortening with crap tons of confectioner's just like all the recipes call for buttercream and add water for my consistency, but I would like to try a healthier option. I never eat any of my creations and I feel bad serving them to my fellow health conscious friends. I might try frosting the cake with a light whipped frosting, and just decorating with the thick buttercream, but if anyone has experimented i'd love to know any other good icing to use.

Thank you!

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 1:41am
post #2 of 4

The icings that use cooked cornstarch/milk are inherently the healthiest of all.

I always add only enough sugar to taste. Only use butter or margarine. Honey WILL work in place of sugar.

They are easy to spread neatly. You can pipe simple borders with them.

Chaudy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chaudy Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 2:22am
post #3 of 4

Thank you! I will try that. I appreciate your response. icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 5:56am
post #4 of 4

I don't know much about creative substitutions for you, but you can easily sub butter for crisco and make it more healthy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%