"floating" Top Cake Tier

Decorating By tripleE Updated 15 Oct 2012 , 10:03pm by tripleE

tripleE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleE Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 3

Strange question--anyone have an idea how to ever-so-slightly "float" the top tier of a wedding cake (so slight that it's not noticeable)? The groom's mother used to do cakes; he thinks the top tier shouldn't have any icing from below stick to its board, as they are keeping the top tier for their anniversary. (I know, I know--the cardboard gets removed for its year-long stint in the freezer) The entire cake will be covered with Pastry Pride; I'm thinking about covering the middle tier (where the top tier will be sitting) with fondant. Don't want it to slip, but I will be pushing one dowel through all three tiers. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Lalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalady Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 3

I use parchment paper between the tiers on my buttercream cakes and the icing does not stick to the boards. If the top tier will be sitting on top of a fondant covered tier, I don't think you would have to use anything or "float" it in any way.

tripleE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleE Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 3

Parchment paper! Good idea! The entire cake is actually covered in Pastry Pride, but I figure I can protect it with a circle of fondant before pushing in the dowels and placing the top tier on. Thanks for the idea!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%