Scratch Cupcakes Won't Dome

Baking By fl_cake_lover Updated 15 Oct 2012 , 4:17pm by cakeyouverymuch

fl_cake_lover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fl_cake_lover Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 4

I'M NOT TRYING TO START A SCRATCH VS. BOX DEBATE!

My scratch cupcakes bake pretty flat or look like they are to the top of the paper then shrink down just a bit when they cool. My new business partner's recipe calls for two scratch mixes then she adds a box mix to get that effect; her cupcakes in a standard cup are huge. Plus, she feels scratch recipes are really dense and adding the mix makes them lighter. I'm not completely on board with this idea because I'm known for baking from scratch and it's not sitting well with me if I'm not 100% behind the product. It's more of a taste thing for me than anything. This is really the only hiccup in our merger.

So, do you have any tips on what to add so I can make some batches to get the same effect? More eggs? Baking soda?

Please don't yell at me about not wanting to use a box mix. She likes what she likes and I like what I like. Now we need to figure out how to compromise.

3 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 4

I wouldn't use a boxed mix if you paid me, so I'm certainly not going to chew you out (more like applaud you for standing your ground)!

Not all scratch recipes are dense - perhaps the ones she has tried, but then if she assumes all scratch recipes are the same, well, she can't have tried very many then, can she?

I recently baked about ten batches of vanilla bean cupcakes, using different recipes for each batch. My employees and I sat down and tasted them all and rated them. You might need to do the same before finding a recipe you really love - it might even take more than ten batches to find the recipe you really love!

Zuhlay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zuhlay Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 4

I just baked 2 dozen each of scratch chocolate cake & red velvet cupcake and got a beautiful domed top by baking the first 5 minutes at 400 degrees and then 10 more minutes at 350.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 4

Is your scratch recipe an actual cupcake recipe, or is it a cake recipe that you are baking up as cupcakes? Not all cake recipes work as cupcakes. My own favorite vanilla cake recipe bakes up moist and tender, but as cupcakes it turns into these dry as dust lumps, and it took some manipulation of the recipe to get it to work as cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%