Help! Flowers For Wedding Cake Are Not Prepped...

Decorating By pursuing_perfection Updated 14 Oct 2012 , 12:59am by ApplegumPam

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 8:52am
post #1 of 6

The flowers for tomorrows wedding cake were just dropped of tonight, and they are not prepped in any wayicon_sad.gif In the past, when I have used real flowers on a cake, they have come ready to set on top. This bride used a different florist and she just sent the flowers in a vase. I know roses are edible, so do I wrap the stem in plastic wrap, or try to find a large straw to put them in before putting them into the cake, or trim and insert as is...?

5 replies
bbsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbsmom Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 10:59am
post #2 of 6

I'm not the "pro" many others are here, but only have done them by trimming and placing stems in a straw (I've used RI to hold in place). Personally, wouldn't want to eat cake with stem shoved in-and florists might use a perservative in the water which could soak into the cake. HTH

pursuing_perfection Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks BBSMOM. I have had the same thoughts you did. Still wondering if anyone out there has any other solutions? The bride asked for the flowers cascading down the side of the cake...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 6

Definitely wrap the stem in a bit of plastic wrap, then insert into a straw.

pursuing_perfection Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks. I ended up going to the closest florist and purchasing some stem supports (basically large straws) since my straws were too small. I also bought a little Oasis half-sphere to poke the top flowers into. It was mounted on a plastic base, but I still used plastic wrap underneath to protect the cake. It worked out okay...but I do wish I had a few rosebuds and some greens to add in. I used what the bride ordered, so I guess she can't complainicon_smile.gif

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 12:59am
post #6 of 6

I'd have taken the flowers to a florist to have them arranged and passed on the charge to the bride. We need to stick to what we know/do best - a florist is trained in dealing with FRESH flowers and knowing what needs to be done to have them presented well and stay that way.

We can't all be 'everything' the bride wants - she saved a few bucks by offloading the job to you.

Wonder whether the florist would have been so accomodating if you dropped off a few baked cakes and a tub or two of icing and expected her to finish the cake.

Yep - when it is said like that is DOES sound ludidcrous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%