What Surface Is Best For Rolling Out Fondant

Decorating By aisrad Updated 19 Oct 2012 , 1:21am by MissPastryChef88

aisrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aisrad Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 5:07am
post #1 of 4

I am looking into buying some sort of mat for rolling out fondant, but am not sure what I should get. I have an acrylic sheet I use right now, but fondant seems to really stick to it BAD, so I have to use a lot of cornstarch or powdered sugar, and then my fondant ends up drying and cracking, or getting elephant skin at the bottom of my cake. I have the Wilton mat, but you have to completely slather that thing in crisco if you don't want your fondant to stick and it's just the biggest pain to try and clean. I've been looking at the blue Ateco mat or The Mat. What do most prefer? Will I still have to use quite a bit of dust on the Ateco mat if I get that?

3 replies
LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 4

I have The Mat and love it. Don't need to put anything on it. Never had any problems with drying or cracking.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 11:59am
post #3 of 4

I LOVE the mat!! Struggled with it at first - my fondant stuck, I used powdered sugar and it still stuck, I used crisco and it still stuck. . .so I gave up for a while. I went back to it several months ago and LOVE it. I actually just use one of them to roll the fondant out on and don't mess with the one that is supposed to go on top. I use a very thin layer of crisco and then actually wipe off the excess with paper towel and it works like a charm every time. I LOVE it!

MissPastryChef88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissPastryChef88 Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 1:21am
post #4 of 4

Silpat designated for fondant ONLY. Or, buy a sheeter that is designated for fondant ONLY.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%