Planning To Try A List Of Buttercream Recipes...any To Add?

Baking By mhcl Updated 31 Oct 2012 , 2:29pm by FlourPots

mhcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhcl Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 4:06am
post #1 of 17

I'm going to make some (and by some I mean ridiculous amount) of buttercream recipes to compare side by side. Here's a list of what I'm thinking of doing:
Cake Central recipes:
Indydebie's buttercream
Decoraters cream cheese frosting
Buttercream dream
Crusting cream cheese icing
Extra special buttercream
Whipped cream buttercream frosting
Sugarshack's buttercream
Web search:
Savorysweetlife's Classic vanilla buttercream
The accidental frosting
Magnolia white chocolate buttercream
Sprinkle's vanilla buttercream
Whimsical bakehouse buttercream
Annie's eats shipped vanilla buttercream

Obviously there are tons of recipes and some I've already tried and love...anyone have any to add to the list that they love? See one they've tried but wasn't what they expected? All buttercream, all shortening, combination of both, I don't care I'll take any suggestions. Also, I've never met a SMBC I didn't like so feel free to throw that in there as well if you like.

16 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 6:24am
post #2 of 17

I've tried so many icing recipes...
Here's the only 3 that have knocked-my-socks-off.

My #1 absolute favorite is the one by CC member mrsmudrash...
You can find it on her awesome blog: http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-commonly-asked-questions.html

Scroll down to: What buttercream do you use?
It's the second one...

I've made it exactly as written several times, and it was always perfect.
Now I add 1/2 tsp salt, and I use Nielsen-Massey vanilla bean paste (2 Tb + 1 tsp.), instead of just regular vanilla...
WOW...best icing I've ever tasted in my life.

(I use Kraft brand marshmallow cream)

I've never made the cream cheese version, so I can't comment on that.

-----------------

My favorite white chocolate BC can be found here: http://comfortablydomestic.com/2011/06/28/white-chocolate-buttercream/

(I use Green & Black's white chocolate (found at Publix supermarkets) http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=Green+%26+Black%27s+white+chocolate&v_t=wscreen50-bb&s_it=searchtabs ... I increase the vanilla (bean paste) to 1 tsp. + add 1/2 tsp. salt)

OMG...on a chocolate cupcake!

------------------

...I've made indydebi's too many times to count...
Even though it's all shortening, you get none of that greasy mouth-feel.
I add 1/2 tsp. salt, and cut the powdered sugar to 6 cups.
Delicious!
-------------------

STILL haven't found a chocolate buttercream that I would consider "the one"...

TheSweetTreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetTreat Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 17

I recommend making Fluffy American Buttercream. To me it tastes just like Swiss Meringue Buttercream, but I'd be interested in hearing your results with it compared to all the others. This is a recipe here on CakeCentral.

mhcl Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 17

Thank you FlourPot for also adding what you change and what type of chocolate you use! Good stuff to know!
And thanks to TheSweetTreat for that recommendation. I know I've seen it before and thought I'd like to try it so thanks for the reminder.
All have been added to my list and my waistline icon_wink.gif

FlourPots Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 17

You're very welcome...

When I read recipe recommendations, I always want to know exactly what was used to get the great result the poster is writing about.

mhcl Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 2:22am
post #6 of 17

@ FlourPots...I checked out your photos and I must say the detail on your cakes is AMAZING! I especially like the purse with the knit details. Just wow!
I tried the whimsical bakehouse recipe (the first one I looked at that I had all the ingredients on hand). Not sure if I'm a fan. It turned out a bit gritty and I'm not sure I'm liking the mouth feel to it but it wasn't overly sweet which was nice. I have suspicions that I may have had a bad batch of powdered sugar that I should have thrown away the last time I used it. I used crisco also but I'm thinking if I get my hands on some hi ratio shortening I'd try it again. I did add some kahlua to it (when in doubt add alcohol right?) and my husband thought it tasted like a burnt marshmallow, in a good way. He really liked it. Just didn't blow me away though I guess.

FlourPots Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 1:33am
post #7 of 17

Oh Thank you so much...I appreciate that!

I made the Whimsical recipe before and also wasn't blown away...it was so long ago, I can't recall exactly what it was that didn't do it for me, but I know I never added it to my tried-and-true list.

When I had a small amount of hi-ratio to sample, the first thing I did with it was make indy's bc...
I honestly didn't notice ANY difference at all from regular Crisco...but, it was pointed out to me that it had more to do with performance, not taste, and the hi-ratio being able to perform better under certain conditions...

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 2:22am
post #8 of 17

I really like Warren Brown's IMBC recipe. You can find it through a web search and on his cake love website.

mhcl Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 17

That's interesting with the Crisco vs the hi ratio shortening. I'm thinking of picking some hi ratio, along with SugarShack's buttercream dvd, as getting super smooth buttercream still evades me. KitchenKrafts isn't too far from me so I'm hoping it's worth the drive. The shortening that is, I've only heard good things about SugarShack's dvd.
@tigachu I've never made IMBC but I have heard good things about Warren's recipe. I think some people add extra sugar to that, which I do with SMBC. Do you do this also?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

You can find it on her awesome blog: http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-commonly-asked-questions.html

It's the second one...

Now I add 1/2 tsp salt, and I use Nielsen-Massey vanilla bean paste (2 Tb + 1 tsp.), instead of just regular vanilla...

I suggest you start with this one. Then you might not need to make all the rest of the American style recipes on your list. Because they are all more or less the same anyway--the only differences will be in the liquid and the shortening vs butter (or a mix).

mhcl Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 2:20am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

It's the second one...

I suggest you start with this one. Then you might not need to make all the rest of the American style recipes on your list. Because they are all more or less the same anyway--the only differences will be in the liquid and the shortening vs butter (or a mix).

Thank you BakingIrene. That is the one I'm planning to make next. I've never made a frosting with marshmallows, so I'm exited. I made an excel document the other day of recipes and already took some off since they were so similar.

viannescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
viannescakes Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 11:31pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks so much for the information and resources! Very helpful!

I'm just wondering how these BC hold up if I want to make flowers or other designs with them? Do they work as well as the crisco/confectioner BC?

I'm looking for a BC that tastes nice and also holds up well for decorating...

thank you all.

FlourPots Posted 20 Oct 2012 , 11:55am
post #13 of 17

viannescakes...I've mostly used the marshmallow & white choc. buttercreams above as filling in cake, and they do get soft if allowed to sit out.
The only piping I've ever done with them, is on cupcakes, never flowers or other designs, so I don't know how those would fare.

Maybe you can reduce or omit the heavy cream in both recipes to make them stiffer.

mhcl...Sharon's DVD's are phenomenal! You won't be disappointed...
My favorite is the purse cake one, but the smoothing one is also amazing.
I haven't actually tried the entire technique, since I use fondant w/ ganache underneath...but one day I plan to bust out a totally smooth, ALL bc cake, with her help LOL!

charierenea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charierenea Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 17

I hope you post your results as you make them! I am new to this site and the list of recipes is overwhelming! I joined to find the perfect chocolate cake recipe and a chocolate icing recipe...thinking it would be a quick 10 minute search and instead have been on here for 2 hours straight just reading! Now I am curios about your buttercream search!

mhcl Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 2:31am
post #15 of 17

@ FlourPots. I heart ganache on cakes. So good! Let me know if you ever do the buttercream so I can check out the pics. If you check out my latest cake, it was done with the marshmallow buttercream and I used the upsidedown method. It was super easy and while I didn't get it perfect, it was the sharpest I've been able to get a cake. I did a little happy dance and wanted to call someone but I don't have any cake friends...my 6 year old did see it and commented how smooth it was, and that was just as good;o)

@charlerenea welcome! There is alot of information on this site isn't there? Did you find your chocolate cake recipe? I just made a chocolate mud cake...SO good! The Aussie's should definitely be proud mud cake and Andy Whitfield. The buttercream dream and extra special buttercream recipes are pretty similar and very good. I really liked FlourPots suggestion of the marshmallow buttercream. Hopefully next I get to some recipes with the white chocolate next. I also like to add almond extract to my frostings. Just my personal preference. I also make my own vanilla extract and wow what a difference! I just made some almond extract too, now just have to wait 2 months to try it!

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 2:23pm
post #16 of 17

Hi, those of you using jessicakes blog, marshmallow fluff buttercreme icing, i have a question. If i am going to use it on cupcakes, do they need refrigerated? I do not use any icing that needs refrigeration, so any help would be greatly appreciatedicon_smile.gif thanks!!

FlourPots Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 6:26am
post #17 of 17
I will mhcl...

Your bc cake is awesome...it's so smooth!! and I LOVE the fabric-like flowers, just gorgeous!

(The new galleries are terrible, by the way! Why would they put everyone's pics in categories?...the old way was so much easier, I can't believe they thought this would be an improvement)...

Anyway...

A compliment from a 6yr.old definitely counts in my book LOL!

My 11 yr old nephew once told me, "Man, this mess is good"...about a cake recipe I was testing...
I literally screeched, "REALLY!!!"
He'll sample anything, but always shrugs when asked an opinion on it, so I took his words very seriously LOL!
(Oh and he calls everything a mess)

shannycakers...
No, that icing does not require refrigeration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%