How To Get Blue Food Color Stain Off My Face?

Decorating By Sherri2012 Updated 14 Apr 2014 , 4:46pm by MegLotto

Sherri2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherri2012 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 12:06am
post #1 of 28

Yep. I made a shark cake for my 9 year old son's birthday today. Right in the middle of adding my color, the phone rang. One way, or another, I ended up with blue dye on my upper lip, and it will not wash off! Thank God my daughter told me it was there. It is Wilton's gel color. Thanks in advance

27 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 12:30am
post #2 of 28

I know that the label on laundry bleach says "not for personal use," but if all else fails, a light swabbing (followed by IMMEDIATE flushing with PLENTY of water) gets the occasional fountain pen ink stain off my fingers.

Missy227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missy227 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 12:46am
post #3 of 28

Hmmmm...I know hand sanitizer can remove permanent maker, maybe it would work with the blue dye.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 12:53am
post #4 of 28

This is going to sound strange but if you have lemon in the house. Try that.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 12:54am
post #5 of 28

Baby Wipes ! they also work on fondant ! icon_wink.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 1:18am
post #6 of 28

Toothpaste rubbed gently can work very well.

Rae

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 2:24am
post #7 of 28

Go with the baby wipes , and yes as Pam says they also work on fondant.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 2:33am
post #8 of 28

Lava soap or Mr. Clean magic erasers.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 2:43am
post #9 of 28

I was going to say 'patience', so I'm glad to read all these responses.

I'm pretty laid back about using 'food safe' stuff generally, but out of interest, how do baby wipes go in this regard?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 3:02am
post #10 of 28

Toothpaste!

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 3:10am
post #11 of 28

If it's alcohol soluble, a prep-swab will likely take it out.

Toothpaste, Lava soap, and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser are all mild abrasives, and so it basically just accelerates the natural process by which you shed the stained skin cells.

And truth be told, especially after reading the other suggestions, even though I will use laundry bleach (or sink cleanser, or even toilet bowl cleaner, in a pinch) on my fingers (and have handled far nastier oxidizing agents), I'm not that sanguine about getting the stuff that close to my face, and would be likely to save even just a Q-tip soaked in the stuff for a last resort if I were facing the OP's situation.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 4:28am
post #12 of 28

Remember My Big Fat Greek Wedding..............the Dad was right, Windex will take the blue away. I use it on my hands and kitchen counters to get the food coloring off of them. But any other glass cleaner won't work, just Windex.

Kendall88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kendall88 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 4:38am
post #13 of 28

I am very curious to know more about the baby wipes that Pam and and Chellescakes mentioned. Chellescakes - do you mean that baby wipes help take stains out of fondant on a cake??? Would love to know if these work as a few times now I have smudged colour on the cake I am working on and a tip like that would be great to know. Do you just use the wipe to take it off???

Lol DeniseNH - every time hubby cuts his finger or does anything I tell him to put windex on it....hahaha just using the line out of the movie though icon_lol.gif So it really does work for this.....

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 4:44am
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl

gets the occasional fountain pen ink stain off my fingers.

Hairspray removes ink too!

Kendall88 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 4:46am
post #15 of 28

Sorry - off topic....but to 'unlimited' - does hairspray remove ink from clothing??

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 6:47am
post #17 of 28

Depends in large part on the type of ink; I suspect that the "hairspray" remedy probably only works on ballpoint and/or marker ink. Anybody's guess on offset, letterpress, or mimeo ink (all of which are very similar to artist's oil paint), or ink-jet ink (edible or otherwise).

Fountain pen ink (which I alluded to on the last page) is a water-based solution of various dyes, and not terribly likely to respond to hairspray.

Kendall88 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 7:09am
post #18 of 28

Thanks hbquikcomjames - it is for ballpoint pen......the 2 yr old has drawn over the side of the suede couch. Am pretty sure it is not real suede as it was only a cheapy.....think I may give it a try, does not matter too much as couch is old and we are waiting till kids are a bit older until we get a better quality one. Thanks for your reply icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 1:46pm
post #19 of 28

You're welcome

Sherri2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherri2012 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 3:49pm
post #20 of 28

Thanks everyone! My response notices are messed up for some reason, and I didn't know I had any responses until I came to CC today to look at cakes. And, but this morning the stain had faded completely away. I definitely would have tried many of these suggestions last night until one worked! But, as this will almost certainly happen in the future, I am thankful to have some remedies. Thanks again!

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 4:25pm
post #21 of 28

Yes. When I get fountain pen ink on my fingers, the stain generally goes away by itself within a few hours. If, on the other hand, the cap on one of my fountain pens unscrews spontaneously in my breast pocket, without my noticing until too late, and it's not a washable color, I generally end up applying a few drops of undiluted laundry bleach to the spot.

ApplegumPam Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 7:56pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

I was going to say 'patience', so I'm glad to read all these responses.

I'm pretty laid back about using 'food safe' stuff generally, but out of interest, how do baby wipes go in this regard?

Of course you use the unscented ones - I think of it this way, if it is deemed safe to be put on a newborn babies skin (which yes, IS absorbent - things DO transfer through the skin - and rigorous testing is performed before these are allowed on the market) then I feel it is safe to do a quick pass over the fondant

The colour you are wiping off with it is probably MORE damaging icon_surprised.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 9:09pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall88

do you mean that baby wipes help take stains out of fondant on a cake??? Would love to know if these work as a few times now I have smudged colour on the cake I am working on and a tip like that would be great to know. Do you just use the wipe to take it off???

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ THE BABYWIPES CONTAINER.

The brands that I have seen all say "not for internal consumption" or some such along with all the chemicals that are included.

NONE OF THAT STUFF SHOULD EVER EVER EVER TOUCH A CAKE.

To get smudged colour off a cake, you use EDIBLE remedies like vodka, food grade glycerine, water, cornstarch, piping gel, corn syrup...

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 3:15am
post #24 of 28

If all else fails, maybe you can get a couple of friends to also apply blue on their faces and you can pretend to be Blue Man Group.

ApplegumPam Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 4:03am
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall88

do you mean that baby wipes help take stains out of fondant on a cake??? Would love to know if these work as a few times now I have smudged colour on the cake I am working on and a tip like that would be great to know. Do you just use the wipe to take it off???

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ THE BABYWIPES CONTAINER.

The brands that I have seen all say "not for internal consumption" or some such along with all the chemicals that are included.

NONE OF THAT STUFF SHOULD EVER EVER EVER TOUCH A CAKE.

To get smudged colour off a cake, you use EDIBLE remedies like vodka, food grade glycerine, water, cornstarch, piping gel, corn syrup...

OK - maybe I should have said.... IF you are in Australia (wich the person that enquiring was) it is perfectly safe to use the baby wipes that we purchase here (unscented ones) Our regulatory bodies ensure that there are NO chemicals in things that you would use on a newborn - they are hypo-allergenic, alcohol free and first ingredient is WATER folowed by Glycerine & citric acid .... so YES - probably a convenient packaged form of what you suggest.

Of course it says ... not for human consumption - they mean ... Don't EAT the wipes icon_smile.gif

Australia is regulated far more stringently than most other countries - and these sorts of products have to pass Pharmacuetical type testing (anything for babies)

Kendall88 Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 5:22am
post #26 of 28
Quote:

Oops - so sorry Unlimited.....I was not ignoring you, I did not see you post. Thank you for the link I will check it out. thumbs_up.gif

Lol - Pam.....I am here in Oz so that is good......promise not to eat the wipes or feed them to my children icon_wink.gif. I do currently use the Decorators Rose Spirits.....well I had a full bottle, brand new and then dropped it. I am assuming this is just the same as using Vodka as I brought a little bottle to use for is purpose.... I was just very curious about the baby wipes though as I had not heard this before.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 12:24pm
post #27 of 28

I test edible inks and constantly have gobs of food coloring on my hands arms face...just depends on the day. What I have noticed is that once I take a shower, it all disappears. No matter how many times I wash my hands using whatever I happen to have around, its not till the shower that it decides to disappear!!!

MegLotto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegLotto Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 4:46pm
post #28 of 28

Toothpaste and green pad!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%