Cracked Cake What Do I Do?????????

Decorating By rach9624 Updated 23 Oct 2012 , 8:06pm by irishgrl77

rach9624 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rach9624 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 7

Just been asked to make my first cake which I am going to be paid for, I have made 2 x 10inch square victoria sponges and the one layer has cracked. What I am wondering is do I make another sponge or put the cracked layer on the bottom. I am not making much money on this probably only about £5 after all ingredients bought as I am doing it for a friend of a friend and feel quite cheeky charging loads as I have not a lot of experience. The cake is going to be butter iced so please all opinions welcome.

6 replies
AMACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMACakes Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 7

How big is the crack? Does it affect the stability of the cake?

I've had a crack in a cake before, but I've just iced over it and it has not been a problem. It was not a second tier though.

rach9624 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 7

It split right away across the middle as I was taking it out of the tin my own fault not concentrating

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 1:47am
post #4 of 7

YOu can save it by putting the split one on the bottom. Put icing on the board. Put icing sorta in the crack and then dirty ice the cake. Put in fridge for 30 minutes. Then ice the layer again , and put in fridge. Then stack the second layer on this and and dirty ice the two layers. Put in fridge. Then finish icing it as usual. Then decorate it. I then, would put in box. Wrap box with 2 layers of saran wrap, one layer of foil. Bring out 24 hrs. before needing it and put in fridge. Still wrapped good.Then couple hrs. before needing it bring out of fridge. Let thaw, then its ready to cut and eat. hth hope i made sense.

rach9624 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 11:27am
post #5 of 7

Will do thank you for your help icon_smile.gif

rach9624 Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 7

Just to let you know that the buyer was very happy with the cake and I got another 2 orders, I only started making cakes as a hobby and gifted them to friends and family so this is very unexpected but pleasant turn of events. Thank you very much for your advice

irishgrl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irishgrl77 Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 7

On the cake boss, that happened, and they just put buttercream in the split, it was like glue...it worked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%