cowie Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 1:51pm
post #1 of

Hi,
Is it possible or how would you - take a white gumpaste rose and make it into an eggplant color? I can't find a spray that is this colour. Is there any hope or would I have to make the roses with the eggplant gumpaste?

Thanks

7 replies
LeeBD Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 2:02pm
post #2 of

You can "paint" them by hand. Mix petal dust(in the color you need) with some vodka or lemon extract and paint them.

Johnica10 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 2:08pm
post #3 of

LeeBD is right! I love to do it that way. Gives me more control over the color effects, more realistic looking. icon_biggrin.gif

cowie Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 8:30pm
post #4 of

Neat! I didn't know that you could do that icon_smile.gif Good to know! So you just use a little paint brush (obviously just for this purpose icon_wink.gif ) ? Do you have to use lemon extract or can you use any extract?

Johnica10 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 8:38pm
post #5 of

I use vodka icon_smile.gif

kimbm04r Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 11:25pm
post #6 of

You can also use the eggplant petal dust and dry dust it on and when finished steam them. It sets the color and will look great. I do that with all of my flowers.

Like this one, or the sunflower wedding cake in my gallery.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1472020/first-official-cake

cowie Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 12:49pm
post #7 of

I didn't know that you could get a solid color from petal dust. Do you have to use half a bottle on each though to get it that dark?

On a side note WOW your sunflower wedding cake is AMAZING!!!! icon_smile.gif

kimbm04r Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 1:16am
post #8 of

The cake I linked you to was the very first cake I decorated.

It has Hydrangeas that are made with white gumpaste then colored with petal dust (eggplant) and steamed to set the color. I believe I used 2 or 3 containers of petal dust to color these but if you start with a gumpaste that is tinted close to what you want you will use less petal dust.

That is what I did on the Sunflowers, I started with a light yellow gumpaste and add layers of different colors of petal dust to get the effect I wanted. I bought a DVD from Sharon Zambito that shows the technique that I used on the sunflowers.

Thanks for the compliments on the wedding cake. This cake has turned out to be my favorite so far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%