Michele Fosters Fondant Recipe

Decorating By mmmcake0072 Updated 11 Oct 2012 , 3:39pm by imagenthatnj

mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all, for over 2 weeks I have tried and tried again to get Michele Fosters updated fondant recipe and for some reason that page just will not load for me. I've tried it through the link here on CC, through blogs like Jessiecakes and even google and the page just loads blank.......DYING to try this recipe. Anyone have any ideas as to why it will not load?

5 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 6

It's supposed to be this one. Don't do the one that says UPDATED, that's actually the old one that Michelle couldn't have CC deleted. Hope you can open this link?

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/michele-fosters-fondant

Here's the thread started by Michele herself, with all the tips and trips you would need.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727.html

That's where I read that the 2 tbs recipe is the one.

mmmcake0072 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly! I can load the link with all of thread with all of the tips, however the recipe still will not load.......the page comes up with the CC logo and all that but the rest is just blank.

imagenthatnj Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 6

It could be your browser. It works OK in my two browsers. But I'm on a Mac using Safari and Firefox. This is pretty lengthy so I hope it doesn't get messed up when I copy here. Were you able to check the thread? You should read it before you get to the recipe. It will answer most of your questions/trouble. Going to try to attempt to copy the recipe here....and hope it doesn't get deleted.

Michele Fosters Fondant
Ingredients
1/2 cup cream
2 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin
1 cup corn syrup
2Tbsp. butter
2Tbsp. glycerin
2 tsp. clear vanilla
dash salt
Approximately 3 1/2 lbs. powdered sugar
Instructions
1. Place milk in 2 cup measuring cup, add gelatin, stir to combine.
2. Let gelatin bloom or become firm, usually less than 5 minutes.
3. Place mixture in microwave and heat for 1 minute on high. Stir. If gelatin does not become liquid, microwave in 15 second intervals until the gelatin is melted. Stir between heating cycles.
4. Put corn syrup, butter, glycerin, vanilla, and salt in large measuring cup, add this mixture to the melted gelatin. Stir.
5. Microwave mixture for 2 minutes on high setting. Butter should be almost melted. Stir, set aside to cool to LUKE WARM.
6. Add 2 lbs. of powdered sugar to large mixing bowl. A Kitchen Aid mixer works best for this. Do not use a hand mixer.
7. Strain LUKE WARM mixture into the powdered sugar; mix by hand until just blended. Straining removes any lumps that did not dissolve during the cooking process.
8. Place the bowl on the mixer, add several cups of powdered sugar, and mix very slowly with the dough hook.
9. Continue to add powdered sugar, about a cup at a time, until fondant forms a soft ball. It should not slide down the dough hook and there may be some powdered sugar left in the bottom of the bowl. This is normal. Keeping the mixer covered with a damp dish towel will prevent powdered sugar from coating the kitchen.
10. While the mixer is running prepare a surface for kneading. You will need some powdered sugar and a non-stick surface. Also have plastic wrap prepared with a think coat of cooking oil. Do not use spray, this can cause the fondant to crust.
11. When fondant is ready, remove from the bowl and knead in a small amount of powdered sugar until the fondant is smooth. It will still be slightly soft.
12. Wrap in oil coated plastic wrap; wrap again, and then place in an air tight container such as a zipper bag or plastic tub.
13. Allow fondant to rest at least 6 hours or over night.
14. Knead only the amount required until smooth before rolling out to cover cake or board.
VARIATIONS AND OTHER INFORMATION:
CHOCOLATE add 6 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the corn syrup. Follow the recipe as normal. Add brown food coloring to make it darker.
WHITE CHOCOLATE- add 6 ounces of white chocolate chips to the corn syrup. Follow the recipe as normal.
DAIRY-FREE FONDANT Replace equal amounts of water, non-dairy creamer, fruit juice, or other liquid for the cream. Replace the butter with equal amounts of shortening. This also works for unflavored fondant when only covering cake dummies.
GENERAL INFORMATION
*If the fondant is too soft or stretchy, knead in additional powdered sugar in small amounts until fondant is of the consistency of play dough.
*If the fondant is too stiff knead in small amounts of glycerin until softened. This is easier by working in small batches and then blending the batches together. Keep any unused fondant covered.
*Fondant can be stored at room temperature for at least a month. For longer periods, place well wrapped fondant in the freezer. Allow fondant to warm slowly to room temperature before using, usually over night. DO NOT THAW IN THE MICROWAVE.
*The sugar and cooking process preserves the dairy ingredients, so there is no worry of spoilage.
*Chocolate can be a little stiff, more glycerin might be needed. If you add brown food coloring remember that it has glycerin in it (gel colors) and will soften the fondant.
*Please remember that many things can affect the consistency of the fondant. This includes temperature, humidity, temperature of the mixture when added to the powdered sugar, any flavorings that are added, and even the temperature of your own hands. THE FIRST 5 INGREDIENTS MUST BE MEASURED ACCURATELY.
*Color can be added during the cooking stage or the mixing stage. Adding color after the fondant has rested is much more difficult, but it can still be done.
*This recipe is naturally off-white. Add white food color for whiter fondant. Gel color will change the consistency.

mmmcake0072 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 6

Wow!! Thank you so much imaginethatnj! You are a lovely person for helping me out!! I'm on a mac with safari and firefox as well....hmmm....will have to ask my techy soon to be brother in law to help when I see him next! Once again, I am zoo very thankful for your time and help!!! Candus

imagenthatnj Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 6

You're welcome, Candus. I remember you now, once you put your name at the bottom. We talked on PM some long time ago, I think. Cake pops roller...lol. Hope all is well with you. Good luck with your fondant! I hope it works because I buy my own, but I translated the recipe to Spanish and sent it to my sister in South America. Hope it works for her too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%