Sponge Cake Disaster! Please Help!

Baking By Jasmin32 Updated 2 Nov 2012 , 9:48pm by KoryAK

Jasmin32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmin32 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 4:17am
post #1 of 9

I have an order for a pair of breasts cake! I went out and bought a round pyrex bowl as it was the same price as renting a bowl cake tin so seemed the better option!

First I must have filled the bowl too high as it was completely raw in the middle after over an hour and a half! The bowl I'm using isn't even very big.

I tried it again, I put an upside-down flower nail in the bottom of the bowl and filled the mixture up to the tip of the nail. It has now been in the oven for over an hour on a low heat, the outside I can see is starting to get very dark brown, the inside is still raw so I keep scooping mixture out to help cook what's left in it and will refill it with some cupcakes or something after. It's like a massive well now, what's left inside of where I've scooped out is still really moist, I wouldn't say runny but it's certainly not 'spongy' all the outside sponge looks dry and overcooked. The centre doesn't seem to be cooking any more how ever long I leave it?!

I don't know what to do! It looks a mess!

Thanks so much for your answers.

Frustrated cook! icon_sad.gif

8 replies
Pearl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl123 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 9:40am
post #2 of 9

What temperature are you baking at?
Perhaps your oven temp is not correct? It sounds like its not heating enough, and the outside is heating up but no heat getting to the middle.

For that long, it should be burning at that point, not undercooking.

Also the opening and closing and scooping out mixture, thats definitely ruining the cake too. At this point you're wasting money on the batter by now too...

Sorry not much help but hope you get it right!

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 9

Dont you have to change cooking times if baking in glassware?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 9

Yes. decrease by 25 degrees for glass.
Really sounds like the oven is off. The outside should not be dark if the inside is raw.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 9

Do you have a heating core?
They are real cheap and work well. It turns the bowl into a sort of bundt pan (hole in the middle)

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 9

Could you bake a shallower dome shape and sit it on a round layer...a two-layer breast?

Srkstrickland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Srkstrickland Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 9

AThis was happening to my cakes about a week before the heating element in my oven completely went out. Good luck hun

milkmonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmonkey Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 9

I am not a professional baker at all but your oven sounds off. I would maybe just make two bundt cakes in a bundt tin and then fill the middle with cupcakes if you can. And the cover them with fondant or whatever you were planning on doing originally. I have to say I made my god daughter a 'barbie' doll dress cake 4 years ago and I used a Pyrex bowl and no problems with baking the middle so that is why I think its your oven. Maybe use a different recipe too not sure if that would help at all.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 9

You can always bake regular round cakes in regular pans and carve them down

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%