Buttercream/swiss Buttercream Recipe Recommendations

Baking By CakeIstryByRhea Updated 17 Oct 2012 , 1:59pm by BakingIrene

CakeIstryByRhea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeIstryByRhea Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone,

For the LIFE of me I can't seem to find a buttercream recipe that I really like - most seem to be turning out grainy to me despite allowing the very soft butter and shortenings (if called for) to beat for ages.. I am starting to think that I should be using a swiss meringue buttercream but I have read that they do not hold up to well to warmer temperatures.

Can anyone recommend a couple good buttercream (vanilla and chocolate) recipes that their customers really enjoy? I would be using the frosting under fondant, as a cake filling and also for cupcakes.

Your tips are so much appreciated!
Rhea

3 replies
ymmat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ymmat77 Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 4

I found that the ONLY sugar brand I can use for American buttercream is C&H. It's not grainy at all. I use Wilton recipe but no meringue powder. My butter to shortening ratio is 12 oz Crisco to 1 cup butter. 4 lbs. powdered C&H sugar, vanilla and milk to right consistency. Add 2 T. heavy whipping cream at end of mixing, beat for one minute.

I have turned to using Swiss meringue for all my fondant covered cakes. Haven't had any trouble with warm temps as long as it's not in direct sunlight.

Best of luck!

mhcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhcl Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 4

May I ask what ones you've tried? I usually use Domino or C & H. Although I did just get a bad batch of C & H,but I've heard that can happen from time to time. I recently asked in a thread about buttercream recipes and I just tried the one FlourPots recommended from jessicakesblog. It was like buttercream crack, so good! I haven't put in on my cake yet so I can't comment on that but I'm sure with all the fat in it, it would go well under fondant. She has an upside down frosting tutorial on the blog too.
Here's the link to that thread...
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=750022&highlight=
Oh yeah...SMBC gets a big thumbs_up.gif from me too!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 4

If your American style buttercream is grainy, you need to add more liquid. THEN beat longer until the graininess goes away. Keep beating without adding any more sugar. It might take 5 minutes.

The problem is that your powdered sugar isn't 10X but 6X. That's what the Domino website says their 25lb bulk packs are. ONLY the 1 and 2lb bags of Domino are 10X. I don't know about C&H.

In Canada both Redpath and Rogers are reliably 10X. Bulk pack powdered sugar seems to be from one of these two packers so it's reliable as well--unless the bin at a bulk food store has been filled wrong.

Longer beating of the fat won't make any difference.

These two recipes are excellent and any combination of butter, shortening and margarine can be used:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/food/spread-the-word-icing-a-smooth-treat-164550696.html

I have added cooled melted chocolate to both recipes. Works fine (I add chocolate to taste).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%