Decorating By doramoreno62 Updated 13 Jun 2014 , 11:14pm by audears

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 53
52 replies
kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 53

Wow look at that bulge!!! I think this is what happens when you get too big for your britches and try to mass produce. I have always thought that it was silly that he gets so much attention when he has a crew of 50 Artisans working on the same cake. I would appreciate his talent a lot more if they showed more of his own work and his technique. It's fine to have a bakery operation and have people working under you, but only if you can maintain a certain level of quality. Obviously he's not making these cakes himself and should not be attaching his name to such an inferior product.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 53

Has anyone actually tried the cake? Is it good? What's on the ingredients label?

Sad to see that the crab pot is alive and well on CC, but that's about par for the course.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 53

I think when any company mass produces their product many times the product suffers in taste.Buddy scratch bakes so I it may be that some of the recipes could be dry when we are used to mixes ...not sure and not saying all scratch cake recipes are dry.

kisamarie Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot

Sad to see that the crab pot is alive and well on CC, but that's about par for the course.

What "Crab Pot"?

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 53
kisamarie Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 53

I think you even saying that is more derogatory than any of the above comments. I was simply saying that his quality is obviously suffering due to his mass production. Buddy is an icon, and an inspiration in the cake world and I think it is sad that this is the product of his success.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 53

Sad to see that the crab pot is alive and well on CC, but that's about par for the course.[/quote]

I don't believe the op was stating anything except that being mass produced has taken away from his baking image. In fact I have seen many state that they thought his cakes were dry from the retail storefront but, his pastries were wonderful.

I saw nothing in the post as being not nice but, you certainly seem to be stirring the pot. Let's all think before we perpetuate the negative responses.
icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 53

HA! So I read everyone's comment and then I went and looked at the cake and I don't know you must have all ruined my image because I was pretty impressed once I saw the picture! But that being said it probably has a ton of preservatives in it which is why it doesn't taste so good.

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 53

Nothing to do with crabs but the colours on that cake are so off putting I would never buy it.

kisamarie Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

I saw nothing in the post as being not nice but, you certainly seem to be stirring the pot. Let's all think before we perpetuate the negative responses.

Lol, my thinking exactly! thumbs_up.gif

doramoreno62 Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 6:38pm
post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot

Has anyone actually tried the cake? Is it good? What's on the ingredients label?

"Crab pot"? Really? Who? Me?
Lol, I've seen no crabs in this pot except 1 icon_biggrin.gif

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisamarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

Lol, my thinking exactly! thumbs_up.gif

thumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 7:36am
post #15 of 53

To give Buddy a break, it is a cake he developed for Walmart. Can any of us develop a tasty cake for Walmart?

Buddy has gotten huge and his upper income entire family has gotten richer. He has obviously decided that his factory will churn out cheap cakes for the mainstream to lower income families. I'm sure it was a sound decision from a financial stanpoint, given his huge national popularity. Most cakes are dry, chemically-laden, cheap cakes. This is no different.

I have followed Buddy's career. He is personally a phenomenal baker. But if I had the opportunity to provide a fabulous life for all of my family, I see nothing wrong with branching out to a mainstream group. These are not his thousand dolllar cakes. How many high end cakes do you think Walmart can sell?

This is a business expansion that has nothing to do with his original business. I look at it as a way to bring a cute cake to a market that couldn't otherwise have this type of cake.

Toyota makes Lexus and it makes the Corolla. The lower priced car has no comparison to the luxury Lexus. Businesses of all kinds develop product lines for varying markets. It doesn't bring down the entire line.

Bottom line, if you buy a cake from Walmart, don't have high expectations.

Same with Duff. We all know that Michael's is coupon-driven. The mix is half price and it has to be costed out accordingly.

By the way, the cakes cost $19.99. (Another one of my "get the facts" searches). Other sites have said that it is good, not great. Only that site came up as awful. So for under $20.00, you get a decorated cake any little girl would love and an ok, cheap cake taste. What do you expect?

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 9:21am
post #16 of 53

Well, I don't know about 'any little girl' but my 7-yrs old twin girls wouldn't touch that thing with a barge pole, it's so unappealing to them (showed them the photo only, so can't say anything about the taste). But they are particular, because they are growing (partly) in a cake decorating world, we often discuss baking, cake decorating, ideas, designs, colors, sometimes show them photos and they comment on them. One of them even noticed the bulge between the layers... well, they are really spoiled... because none of their classmates would. But at the same time they would never expect any $20 cake of this size to taste/look good (me too) and I've never eaten any that actually did. Anyway that's just a personal preference/opinion.

However, this product surely has its market. Nothing wrong with that.

tomthebarncat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomthebarncat Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 12:44pm
post #17 of 53

I am not a baker just a person who loves to eat cake. Here is my 2 cents on the issue. Yes, the cake is very bright and well priced for a celebrity cake designer, but it tastes terrible. According to one of the links Buddy himself dictated every aspect of this cake down to how many revolutions the batter is mixed. So based on that information, he surely is aware that they suck and it is purely for profit. Nothing wrong with making money but I question why he would sell out his name for a few bucks??? Maybe his 15 minutes of fame are over and this is where he is headed... I also understand that Duff's cake are inedible but look great. My old university (UMBC) had one of his cakes at an event, my friend said it looked beautiful and lots of photos were taken, but that no one ate it because it was awful. We will see and once again I am just a person with an opinion!

doramoreno62 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 10:03pm
post #18 of 53

Tomthebarncat, you took the words right out of my mouth. Just because the cake is priced inexpensively it should not taste bad. To some people (not me) the cake may be cute and they may buy it because of that and because it's a Cake Boss cake, but what's the point if it's not tasty? That customer will not buy another cake and will probably warn others not to buy it because it is not good. And we all know how fast words spread! So I don't see how this new endeavor for Buddy will last. Maybe he should sell his pastries instead since I hear they are delicious?

HalifaxMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HalifaxMommy Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 10:24pm
post #19 of 53

I just wish Buddy would stop decorating those huge monsters he calls cakes. I would love to have a few episodes dedicated to "traditional" celebration and wedding cakes.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 10:53pm
post #20 of 53

I'm a bit astonished at anyone thinking that these cakes look good. They seem to be over-bright, and pretty sloppy to me. I've no idea how they taste.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 11:43pm
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62

Just because the cake is priced inexpensively it should not taste bad.

I agree...
I've never tasted Buddy's lite brite concoction, but there are GREAT tasting, mass produced, inexpensive cakes....

The Entenmann's all butter pound cake to name one, (not the chocolate pound, it's awful)...

I know this isn't a decorated cake, but it's so perfect, I've thought of cutting up a few and piecing it back together as 6" rounds, stacked 3 layers high, filled and frosted.

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 9:24pm
post #22 of 53

Glad this was posted and saved me the trip and money for buying one of these. What a way to ruin your name for a buck. I don't agree at all that you can defend him for this choice "just to make a buck". Anyone picking this cake up to eat it will be doing so because of his name on it, not because it is 20 bucks.

All I see on his show is how he YELLS at someone for screwing something up because it has his name on it. To defend his decision to sell a horrible cake makes no sense to me. Just my opinion though.

Don't mass produce something that taste horrible and you won't have a mass response of negativity. Your name isn't going to get you by in life if you choose to drag it in the mud. It's almost like some people are defending him just because of his name. He must have done something for you personally that we don't know about, so that is awesome!

I love what the guy has done for the cake business though, I hope he tries to fix this somehow.

cookiemonster025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemonster025 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 10:23pm
post #23 of 53

I find the whole concept of this "Cake Boss" branded cake to be weird. It's not made in his bakery or decorated by him or his staff. It makes about as much sense as "Cake Boss" shoes.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 10:31pm
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonster025

I find the whole concept of this "" branded cake to be weird. It's not made in his bakery or decorated by him or his staff. It makes about as much sense as "" shoes.

Makes perfect sense to me...this product is targeted at people who are mostly concerned about brand awareness. For some, being able to say that they served a "Cake-Boss" cake trumps taste and quality.

If you prefer cake that tastes good, this is not the product for you.

C4ssandraa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C4ssandraa Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 5:05am
post #25 of 53

I think that the cake is based of his design only. Not about how it tastes anything near it. Walmart just made a cake inspired off of one of buddys cakes you pretty much see in every episode.

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 12:56am
post #26 of 53

I bough the Badda Bloom Cake at BJs out of curiosity. My family didn't like it. The cake part wasn't too bad, the filling was fudgy, but the butter cream was awful. I suspect it's from the amount of coloring they had to use- the flavor was strange and it had a waxy texture.

I don't think we're being negative discussing this product. I don't dislike Buddy and family, but I think he's doing what most of the celebrity bakers/chefs do. They try to make as much money as they can on their brand. Some people might be happy with this product or, as someone else pointed out, not care about the flavor and buy it for the name recognition.

He may do well in this new market venture. I know that I won't buy another one, but there are plenty of people who might.

VKakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VKakes11 Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 5:00pm
post #27 of 53

@kisamarie, I do agree with you, although I've never thought of it in that light. Buddy does have a tremendous amount of people working for him, and while I do respect his work, I never see him working himself, unless it's ordering people around. He may be the "boss", but I'd like to see more of him and his work. I do agree with the mass production, it may just be too much, therefore affecting the taste, texture, etc.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 8:07pm
post #28 of 53

The way I see it, it is exactly the same as the celebrities who "design" clothes for high street stores, basically the shoes or clothes are designed by X yet they are sold for a high street price and at about a 10th (if that) of the same quality and yet people queue up over night or even longer to get an article made in the same factory or sweat shop as all the other clothes in this very store yet bc they have been designed by someone "special" it becomes a must have. It's all about name branding.

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 12:12am
post #29 of 53

Ok, so I tried Buddy's cake. A co-worker brought it in for a birthday and it was AWFUL!!! It was one layer chocolate and one vanilla separated  by god-only-knows-what. Honestly, I can't tell you what the filling in between the layers was. Some partly liquified artificial chocolate something. The icing was a shortening based with a really bad after taste. Nothing against Buddy, just who is mass producing these.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 1:41am
post #30 of 53

A few weeks ago my sister and a couple of her friends went to NYC and stopped at Buddy's store on the way home.  She brought me back a cup cake because she thought I would like one since he was a famous baker on TV.  After eating that cupcake I have to say that I will never make a special effort to go to his store if I ever get in the area.  It was not moist at all and the icing was not good either.  And just for those wondering, she bought it the day before I ate it so it should have been plenty fresh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%