Quick! Help Deciding On Cake Flavor/filling.

Baking By Vick9js Updated 10 Oct 2012 , 3:31pm by Jaybay

Vick9js Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vick9js Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 5

I have a cake to make this weekend for a baby shower and the lady's favorite cake flavor is raspberry. I was thinking of making my normal strawberry cake just doctoring it up to be raspberry and filling the cake with lemon curd. Do I need to use an additional layer of filling with the curd? I have never used it before and most recipes I see have it with a layer of buttercream or something. Or should I go for a lemon flavored filling like http://cakecentral.com/recipe/lemon-cream-filling that isn't quite as strong tasting? Or would this not be a good flavor combo and I should just scrap the idea altogether and stick with something like a white chocolate ganache? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

4 replies
Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 5

How do you make your strawberry cake? Is it a box mix? If so, how about using a white cake mix and adding raspberries and raspberry flavoring to get the flavor you want? If it's scratch sub raspberries for the strawberries. Whenever I use lemon curd I always put down a thin layer of vanilla buttercream also. I just like that flavor, not necessary. I also have added lemon flavor to my buttercream for filling - people love it - more like a lemon cream.

Vick9js Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much! I use a doctored box mix so like you said I will just sub the strawberry stuff I normally put in for raspberry equivalents. I think I might try just the lemon flavored buttercream-less work and I'm a little nervous about how strong the lemon curd will taste. With the buttercream I can just adjust to my liking. Will try the lemon curd soon though with a white cake, it looks and sounds so good!.

Vick9js Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 5

Oh, one more thing, would you recommend just filling the cake with the lemon flavored buttercream and covering it with regular buttercream or do both with the lemon flavored? It will have fondant covering it. Thanks again!!

Jaybay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaybay Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 5

I have used this lemon curd recipe with a coconut cake before and it wasn't to strong and everyone loved it! It was easy as well. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lemon-curd-recipe/index.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%