Storing Cupcakes With Whipped Cream Frosting

Baking By mmsantos Updated 15 Oct 2012 , 4:20pm by lizabethy

mmsantos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmsantos Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 12:04am
post #1 of 3

I have to bake chiffon cupcakes and deliver Thursday, but will be eaten on Friday. The frosting is a whipped cream and cream cheese base. Should I

A. Bake Cupcakes Wednesday Night, frost Thursday morning, and keep in the fridge until delivery
B. Bake Cupcakes Wenesday Night, keep in airtight container at room temp, frost right before delivery and inform them to keep the cupcakes in the fridge

I want the cakes to be as moist as possible, but all the posts are stating to not refrigerate cupcakes. But since the frosting is perishable, I'm a little torn at what would yield the best tasting cupcake.

2 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 2:30am
post #2 of 3

With perishable frosting you must keep them refrigerated. It's not much of an option but that said, I had cupcakes I had to refrigerate and I sealed the container with Press and Seal before they went into the fridge and they were great. I unwrapped them and opened the container to let them come to room temp to avoid condensation but I've seen a lot of posts for refrigerated cakes that say not to unwrap them until after they come to room temp so that is your call.

lizabethy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabethy Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 3

I'm not sure whether this is the "right" way to do it or not, but I always refrigerate my cakes, and at times I frost them ahead of time. I have never had a problem with any of my cupcakes melting as they come to room temp either.

Normally I make the cupcakes the night before, stick them in the fridge, and then frost them in the morning.

At times that doesn't work though, so I'll make them the night before, frost them, decorate them (with non fondant, more caramel and candy), and stick them in the fridge overnight. Then in the morning I take them out and let them come to room temp before I serve them. I've used it with buttercream, cream cheese, and swiss buttercream with no problems.

I had a friend eat at a dessert food truck and she said the cupcakes there were all refrigerated. They came with instructions to let the cupcake come to room temperature before eating. (let sit for 5-10 minutes)

I think refrigerating them makes them more moist...especially my chocolate cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%