Baby Rattle Cake

Decorating By MegansCakePops Updated 9 Oct 2012 , 11:00pm by DeliciousDesserts

MegansCakePops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegansCakePops Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone! I'm a new poster to the board, but have come to the forums and site to get tips for quite some time!

I recently started a cake pop business and have had some requests come in for cakes as well. I got a request for the attached cake.

The client said it doesn't have to look exactly like this, but they sent it as a guide for shape/size.
A couple of questions...
1. How much would you charge for this?
2. Wouldn't it look nicer if it were covered in fondant?
3. I know that you would use a ball mold to get the large part of the rattle. What would you use to get the smaller part? Maybe 2 small bowls?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom and guidance.

-Megan
LL

1 reply
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegansCakePops

The client said it doesn't have to look exactly like this, but they sent it as a guide for shape/size.
A couple of questions...
1. How much would you charge for this? I would need more information. It can be hard to judge size from a photo. How many does it need to serve? What flavor? Even with that, my price is based on my skills, my cost, & the market in which I live. I am in Charleston. I charge more than talented cake artists who live in Anderson SC.
2. Wouldn't it look nicer if it were covered in fondant? Probably. That depends on your skill set. Are you able to get a nice smooth buttercream finish? Are you proficient in fondant?
3. I know that you would use a ball mold to get the large part of the rattle. What would you use to get the smaller part? Maybe 2 small bowls? This will depend on how many it serves. If it needs to be very large, the ball pans won't be enough. It may be that you need some structural support depending on size.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom and guidance.

-Megan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%