AmbitiousBeginner Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 5:06pm
post #1 of

I've used an airbrush to get a darker color on MMF. I like the way it looks, but it always leaves streaks on the plate, colors lips and teeth.

Am I missing a final step? Is it unavoidable? or can I do something to get the MMF to absorb the color better?

The same thing happens when I paint with food coloring. I use Americolor airbrush colors. Do the same rules apply when painting or airbrushing on color?

5 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 5:18pm
post #2 of

I don't know the answer but I'm interested because I've got recently aquired an airbrush.

How far in advance are you airbrushing the cakes?
Do you live in a humid climate that may prevent it from fully drying?

AmbitiousBeginner Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 10:52pm
post #3 of

I've read that some people go over their cakes with a clothes steamer.

Does that set the color better and fix the problem? or does it just make the cake shiny?

AZCouture Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 11:05pm
post #4 of

Unless you buy premixed fondant in the shade you need, it's just gonna happen. At least it's not as bad as colored butter cream. Yuch!

Evoir Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 11:40pm
post #5 of

Coloured fondant will also colour people's mouths, teeth and tongues. It's the nature of the beast. It's actually something I warn brides and grooms about - you don't want your photos showing coloured grins, right? Lol

AZCouture Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 11:42pm
post #6 of

True, but it's the lesser evil of all the options there are. Yuch to all of them really.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%