Wtheck!? Adding Cocoa Powder To Bc Makes It Weep?

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 9 Oct 2012 , 11:55am by lrlt2000

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 2:11am
post #1 of 9

I have been using BakingJeannie's Fluffy American Buttercream (sort of a hybrid MBC/ABC) recipe for about 6 months now and I love it. When I try to make it chocolate, however, by adding cocoa powder, it seems to weep! I would understand, if I was adding liquid, but I'm adding more dry for goodness sake! Why would it weep!?

It's almost like the chocolate starts to separate itself from the BC as chocolate syrup. Any ideas why and what I can do instead to make chocolate or mocha with it without altering the consistency??

The base recipe is here: http://cakecentral.com/recipe/fluffy-american-buttercream[/url]

8 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 2:17am
post #2 of 9

I've never made this recipe, so can't speak to the issues you're experiencing. But perhaps it's not the cocoa causing the issue, but the beating of the buttercream causing moisture to be released? Have you tried folding in the cocoa, or adding it when you add the powdered sugar? What about folding in melted chocolate? Or folding in ganache?

lrlt2000 Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 2:22am
post #3 of 9

Weird, I did try adding it when I add the powdered sugar (i.e., right at the beginning, along with the dry powdered sugar) and it does the same thing. I attribute it to the chocolate!

I've not tried melted chocolate. I'd be afraid to add hot or even warm melted chocolate to cool whipped BC, for fear it would melt the butter or if the chocolate was too cool, that it would harden in pieces in the cool/cold BC.

Tips?? I haven't ever added melted chocolate to real SMBC!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 2:54am
post #4 of 9

I melt chocolate on low heat in intervals in microwave. Let it cool even more.Add it to abc and to smbc and imbc. Never have a problem. The chocolate is cool , not even warm.hth

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 3:13am
post #5 of 9

When I add cocoa powder to IMBC it gets soupy but I found that if I add one more stick of unsalted butter it behaves beautifully. Can you try adding more butter to see if you have the better results. Can't explain it but this might be a fix for you too.

lrlt2000 Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 3:15am
post #6 of 9

DeniseNH, when do you add the extra stick of butter and when do you add the cocoa powder? Interesting!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 3:34am
post #7 of 9

Maybe it is the cocoa grabbing the fats in the buttercream and leaving the liquid behind?

Just a theory. But cocoa is separated from the cocoa butter early in its life. That could be why the extra butter makes it OK.

Do not fear the melted chocolate. It is one of the pleasant goofy things about chocolate. You can melt it and bring it back to room temp and it stays melted. At that point, it shouldn't affect the buttercream at all.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 3:59am
post #8 of 9

I have heard that some bakers will add the cocoa to boiling water to dissolve, then let it cool to a paste. Then add this paste to the buttercream.

I don't like adding cocoa to BC at all, but its mostly because of the slightly gritty mouthfeel it causes (yes, even with sifting finely).

I use dark chocolate in my IMBC and its drop-dead delicious.

lrlt2000 Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 11:55am
post #9 of 9

Thank you everyone for your encouragement icon_wink.gif I will be trying it today!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%