Support For This Figure??

Decorating By SweetTreatsbyJess Updated 9 Oct 2012 , 1:09pm by Lynne3

SweetTreatsbyJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyJess Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 12:43am
post #1 of 5

I will be attempting to do the Minnie as pictured and need some advice. I was thinking rice crispy treats for the body and head. And gumpaste for the ears and arms. I am worried about the arms staying in place. Anyone have any ideas/advice?

Thanks in advance,
Jess

http://www.erivanacakes.com/photos/Kids-Birthday-Cakes/Minnie%20Mouse%20Cake%202.jpg

4 replies
prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 12:47am
post #2 of 5

I usually use floral wire. Like 18 gauge. Its pretty sturdy and will stay in place.

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 12:48am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTreatsbyJess

I will be attempting to do the Minnie as pictured and need some advice. I was thinking rice crispy treats for the body and head. And gumpaste for the ears and arms. I am worried about the arms staying in place. Anyone have any ideas/advice?

Thanks in advance,
Jess

http://www.erivanacakes.com/photos/Kids-Birthday-Cakes/Minnie%20Mouse%20Cake%202.jpg

If your doing the body in RKT, why not use a thin dowel for the arms? Just stick it right through her, and cover them up with fondant. icon_smile.gif

03kk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
03kk Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 1:07am
post #4 of 5

I agree with debidehm. Use a dowel rod, but I would paint it with food coloring and vodka. The vodka with evaporate, so it is ok to use on childrens cakes for painting small areas. Or spray paint it if you have an airbrush. Hope this helps! Can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck!

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 5

If would use one wooden dowel from the head, into the cake. This serves as minnies neck, as well as the dowel to hold the foam eggs
Use one smaller styrofoam egg (laying on its side) to be the head and snout.
Use another larger egg, standing on its fat end to be the body. Cut the bottom of this egg off to make it level.
Thinner wooden dowels for arms. These get stuck and glued into the larger styrofoam egg body.
Loop wire into the shape of ears. Leave a tail to stick it into the styrofoam egg head.

After assembly, glue and fondant.
I have attached a picture that may help understanding how I would do it.

Green - wooden dowels
Red - styrofoam eggs
Purple - wire
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%