How Much Should I Be Charging For My Cakes

Decorating By helen_freud Updated 9 Oct 2012 , 12:49am by silverdragon997

helen_freud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helen_freud Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 8:21am
post #1 of 2

Hi, im still new at this cake decorating been doing it for around 9 months and im just wondering if my prices are too high, too low or and i charging right. im self tought so i dont have ant certificates and it is still just a hobby for me but if someone wants a cake im more than happy to make them one at a cost here are my prices

8" square and round - £35 ($56.30)

2 tier 9"&6" - £55 ($88.50)

3 tier 12", 9" & 6" - £185 ($297)

im still trying to get my head about sugar flowers so non of my cakes dont have flowers as of yet. i will charge more when i can do them as i know they take more time but untill then am i charging the right amount?

thank in advance
helen

1 reply
silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 12:49am
post #2 of 2

There is no set answer for this question. You should:

1. Do some internet research for your area and see what others are charging.

2. Add up your costs to make a cake: ingredients, supplies, utilities, rent (if you are renting out space for your business), insurance, etc. Then subtract the amount you charged for the cake, and divide that number by the number of hours the cake took you to make. Is that an hourly wage for which you are happy to work? If not, then you should be charging more.

3. Make a business plan. It's the only solid way to make sure you are charging enough to cover all of your bases.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%