Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By HeathersHauteCakes Updated 9 Oct 2012 , 11:25am by HeathersHauteCakes

HeathersHauteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeathersHauteCakes Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 10

I've recently started working with marshmallow fondant. Last time I covered a cake with plain white MMF and it worked like a charm and looked beautiful! Yesterday I covered a cake with MMF that I tinted blue with the wilton gel. After I was done it looked pretty good. I sealed it in a cake saver. Today when I opened it, it has dimples and looks like it stretched or slid down the cake a little- there are small folds at the bottom. Any ideas of what I did wrong so I can learn from my mistake? Thanks in advance!!

9 replies
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathersHauteCakes

I've recently started working with marshmallow fondant. Last time I covered a cake with plain white MMF and it worked like a charm and looked beautiful! Yesterday I covered a cake with MMF that I tinted blue with the wilton gel. After I was done it looked pretty good. I sealed it in a cake saver. Today when I opened it, it has dimples and looks like it stretched or slid down the cake a little- there are small folds at the bottom. Any ideas of what I did wrong so I can learn from my mistake? Thanks in advance!!

You may have rolled the fondant too thick. I'm not sure what could have caused the dimples, other than maybe the buttercream underneath wasn't smooth?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 10

Sealing it in a cake saver, if it's air-tight, might've been the problem.

HeathersHauteCakes Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 10

Maybe I added too much crisco? Is that possible? I'm not going to seal it next time to eliminate that factor. As far as thickness- I used the orange guide rings on the 20" wilton rolling pin which makes the fondant 1/8" I believe. Is that about the right thickness? It worked last time so I just repeated the same procedure this time.

FlourPots Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 10

1/8" is great, not too thick at all...

How much Crisco did you add?
I use 1/2c, I melt it right in with the marshmallows.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 1:31am
post #6 of 10

Maybe too much Crisco...I use just enough to coat bowl when melting marshmallows and just a bit to keep it from sticking to my hands and mat i mix it on...I find the less I use the better especially when adding color to it.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 3:31am
post #7 of 10

1/2 cup is way too much. Like the other poster I use a total of about a heaping teaspoonful and sometimes I don't use any at all and it comes out beautifully. The dimples are trapped air bubbles that popped and made caved in areas. The sagging at the bottom is because 1.) your MMF wasn't stiff enough and stretched 2.) your cake settled over night and ended up shorter than when you applied the fondant What I do is roll out the fondant, pop all the bubbles then ball it back up and reroll on more powdered sugar. I find that rolling out colder MMF results in fewer bubbles, but it's hard on the wrists because of how hard you need to push down on the acrylic rolling pin.

FlourPots Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 3:40am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

1/2 cup is way too much.

Well that does depend on the recipe...

Everything in my gallery was made with MMF containing 1/2 c of Crisco...even the modeled pieces, purse handles, etc.

HeathersHauteCakes Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 11:14am
post #9 of 10

Thanks, guys!! I don't add any crisco to the actual MMF recipe- it's just marshmallows, Conf sugar and a bit of water and vanilla. I just grease my hands and board with the crisco, but thought maybe I got carried away with it. I don't know why it never occurred to me that the cake may have settled.. That's definitely possible. I also did pop several air bubbles. I really appreciate all the tips. I'd definitely rather learn from my mistakes so I can make the adjustments necessary.

HeathersHauteCakes Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 11:25am
post #10 of 10

Update: I made another MMF cake yesterday and I kneaded in a lot more PS than last time to make it stiffer. Turned out beautiful and still looks good this morning!! Yay!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%