Need Help Pricing This Guitar Cake (First Time)

Decorating By divaessence Updated 6 Oct 2012 , 5:54pm by divaessence

divaessence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaessence Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 5:03am
post #1 of 4

This is my first guitar cake (and my first commissioned shaped cake). My father-in-law asked me to make it for his guitar group.

I worked on this cake on and off for four days (baking, making my icings (buttercream & MMF), molding 50/50 accents, hand painting details ... and then doing the majority of the decorating the better part of the day before it was due (torting, filling, deco, assembling. This all took about six hours).

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2413948/5th-annual-cok-agf-gathering

I'm not a quick decorator, but I put a lot of work and detail into this cake. I used the Wilton guitar pan and extended the neck (= add more servings). I'd say the final servings for this cake was between 15 - 20.

Question is, what do I charge for this? He is offering to pay full price but I'd like to offer him a discount (especially since we're living with him temporarily. We just recently relocated). What would you charge for something like this -- without a discount?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

And, thanks to all who gave me advice on how to "woodgrain" the buttercream! You CCers are the best!!

Be blessed!!

3 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 6:27am
post #2 of 4

I suspect that this very nice man gave you the "commission" for your first custom cake and offered to pay full price as a gracious act of support and kindness.

Personally, I would ask him for $45 for the cake. That will allow him to have the joy of paying you for your first commissioned shaped cake. It is enough to sound expensive, but with a discount offered with love, and to make each of you proud of each other.

If you plan to sell more cakes if/when the OK Cottage Food Law goes into effect, it may also be a nice gesture to frame the first dollar received for your cakes. You could put a photo of your darling cake below the dollar bill.
(If you aren't familiar with this custom, simply Google: Framing first business dollar.)

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 10:57am
post #3 of 4

If it was for anyone else. i am sure you could have charged 100/=. But, since it is for yr F.I. L give him a 50% discount. you have put in a lot of work

divaessence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaessence Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for your thoughts!

Be blessed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%