So Sad

Decorating By zdebssweetsj Updated 6 Oct 2012 , 7:24am by scp1127

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 12

Hi just wanted to tell everyone how much I've missed being able to pop on here and know whatever question I had someone would have an answer for me. I've not been on the forum for quiet awhile. A little over a year ago I had the gastric bypass surgery because of diabetes. The surgery has been a life saving and altering success. Unfortunately I'm still not able to tolerate sugar without a huge spike in blood sugar, It has been one of the hardest decisions I've ever made but, I will have to give of cake decorating. After 15 years of living and breathing cake, I will miss y'all the most. I can remember how hard it was to get started and how much time and money went into it, I'll be selling most of my decorating equipment, I can't believe how much stuff I thought ya had to have LOL. if anyone is interested in seeing what I have to sell, you can e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks so much for being there, even in the middle of the night, happy caking to all of you.

11 replies
funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 12:07am
post #2 of 12

I'm so sorry to hear that .Your health is most important right now. Take good care of yourself.
God Bless
Wendy

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 12:09am
post #3 of 12

I wish you all the best. I know you miss cake decorating. It is an addiction. lol!!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 12:30am
post #4 of 12

So sorry you feel you need to quit! Do you? Believe me I know it's tough to not taste, but can't you find someone who could be your taster? I have discovered that chewing spearmint gum stops me from wanting to try all that sweet cake batter and frosting. If you can look at it as a job and not a temptation, perhaps you can continue to do what you love!
Maybe you can look at making gum paste figures and flowers to sell online for those cakers who can't or don't like doing that kind of thing.
Just some thoughts. I know I would hate having to stop doing what I love without at least looking at alternative solutions!
Best of luck to you! icon_smile.gif

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 12:31am
post #5 of 12

I just wanted to wish you good luck in the next chapter of your life. I hope you are healthy and happy. I also hope you find another creative outlet so that you can make beautiful things that don't involve sugar!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 12:40am
post #6 of 12

You really are quite talented. Could you teach, instead of giving up altogether?
Work on dummy cakes?

It'd be a shame to let such talent sit by the wayside.
I understand your health issues.

Best of luck to you!

tokazodo

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 12:54am
post #7 of 12

I am so sorry to hear this. I wish you the best whatever your new adventures bring. My first instructor gave up her business of almost 20 years for the same reason many year ago, She became an instructor and inspired me and many others into the cake world. Maybe a new direction instead of completely walking away, but you know what's best for you.

Jeanne

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 2:38am
post #8 of 12

You're in good company. So don't give up:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/food/baker-peter-reinhart-built-his-career-on-carbs-now-he-wants-to-teach-you-to-do-without-them-172489711.html

It takes real bakers to develop decent sugarfree baked goods...not nutritionists or food developers.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 3:47am
post #9 of 12

zdebssweetsj~~Bravo! You've made a decision that must have been absolutely wrenching, but you've done the right thing! You were very brave to get the surgery, and then, a year later, to make this decision.

The only suggestion I have is to treat your former cake making "career" as a job you did well, and now you have officially "retired". Search for a retired hobby that doesn't involve sugar. As others have said, you definitely have the artistic skills needed to succeed.

I admire you.

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 3:48am
post #10 of 12

So sorry to here! My son has type 1. He was diagnosed after I made my career as a pastry chef. it's really hard not to make desserts at home. Maybe there is something you can figure out something to do so you can do what you love.

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 4:02am
post #11 of 12

I'm sorry. That is sad. Best of luck to you in whatever your decision maybe.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 7:24am
post #12 of 12

I have had three careers in my life. Life changes. And even though it's hard to transition, the next corner will be just as fullfilling. It always is. Best Wishes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%