Frozen Cake Sinking

Decorating By Nevie Updated 5 Oct 2012 , 8:05pm by Nevie

Nevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nevie Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 4

Sigh, it seems there is always something... I froze a 2 layer yellow cake last week. This is how: I wrapped lightly as soon as possible, but without handling the cake, then placed in freezer until firm, then wrapped tightly with several layers and immediately placed back in the freezer. It was fine when I put it in the freezer, but as it is thawing, I see the center is slightly sunken in- about 1/4 inch deep. Anyone have this happen? How can I avoid it in the future and should I rebake? The cake needs to be done tomorrow at noon, so I have plenty of time, but there is a lot to be done between then and now. I was considering taking a core sample to see what the center looks like and then putting it back...can this be done? I did test it before I took it out of the oven. icon_wink.gif

TIA for any help or suggestions.

3 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 4

When you freeze cakes they should be cooled to room temperature first then wrapped well in Saran Wrap--not loosely or 'lightly'...but not so tight you squeeze and crush the cake. I usually put about 3-4 layers on. If you want to thaw it you need to unwrap it first so condensation does not form and wet the cake. I've had that happen before. It didn't sink...but the cake in areas was soggy. More than likely because the cake was not completely cooled before I wrapped it.

Because I overfill my pans to make certain I get the full 2" I generally have to level my cakes so I know pretty much how well the center is done. And if a cake is going to sink it happens when it's cooling out of the oven. If you just shoved yours in the freezer while it was still hot that may be why yours was affected. But I don't know. I've never had one sink after freezing it.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with carmijok, that baked goods need to cool completely before freezing. I've read other threads where posters insist that freezing while still warm keeps in the moisture; but in my practical experience, this creates problems (as you found out). You may or may not need to bake another cake. Taking a small piece from the cake can help you decide on your next step. It may not be that bad, or you may find a dense spot that needs attention.

Nevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nevie Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you ladies. I did test the core and it was fine, so I am not going to rebake. I was not clear in my post, but I do wait until the cake is room temp before freezing. In the meantime, I lay the cake on a piece of wrap when I take it out of the pan and then gently drape with another piece to minimize moisture loss- not pulling tight, but pressing the two pieces together to make a seal . When they are cool, they go into the freezer for about an hour and then come out to be tightly wrapped a few more times.

I've always thawed my cakes wrapped and haven't had a problem with sogginess, but I will try defrosting unwrapped to see if I notice a difference. I don't freeze very often, so I don't have enough experience to say my way works consistently.

Thank you again, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Blessings,
Ginevra

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%