First Wedding Cake, Merrange Flowers Question And Freezing Q

Decorating By shrimpsey Updated 5 Oct 2012 , 10:46pm by jenscreativity

shrimpsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrimpsey Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 3

So I am making my first ever wedding cake for my friend(EEEEKKK!!) It will be 3 square tiers and I will have merrange flowers cascading up the side and on the top. I want to make the flowers ahead and freeze them? Are they ok to freeze? Second, her colors are silver and navy and I am debating about doing a combo of silver and navy flowers, was going to just dust silver LD for the silver and try and put the navy color in the mixture when I make those flowers, not sure if I can though. OR' I could do all silver flowers and use navy ribbon around my tiers. The tiers will be covered in fondant(white or ivory) I would like to bake and freeze my cakes before hand, but I have never froze a cake before. Any tips or tricks about that. 2 layers will be a WASC with a raspberry filling, the 3rd layer will be a chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream, all covered in fondant.

Help please!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 3

I do not suggest fzing meringue flowers icon_sad.gif Haven't tried it but meringue in general does not freeze well. Maybe try one for 3-4 hrs and see how it defrosts? Please stay away from navy icing! It will stain people's teeth and clothing icon_sad.gif Use ribbons.
As for fzing cakes - my goodness there have been a ton of posts regarding this topic and yes! it works well as long as you wrap the cakes well in plastic and fz flat!

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 3

I would NOT freeze the flowers..make them fresh and leave out as they can stay out for 2wks at least.
You can freeze cakes, but wrap them securely well and put in freezer plastic bags, lay flat and freeze
Definetly silver flowers and blue ribbon. Color can bleed especially if it's hot.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%