Can You Dip Brownies In Thinned Buttercream For Cake Pops

Decorating By monizcel Updated 5 Oct 2012 , 9:43pm by letsgetcaking

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 6

Do you have to dip brownie/cake pops in melted chocolate only or will thinned buttercream stick?

I want to make some Thanksgiving themed brownie pops this weekend but instead of using melted chocolate I wanted to use a mocha buttercream instead.

TIA!

5 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 6

The buttercream will definitely stick to the brownie, but I think you'll have a really hard time keeping the icing from running down the stick. I used thinned icing for these cupcakes, and they dried smooth.

http://letsgetcaking.blogspot.com/2011/07/chocolate-dipped-cupcakes.html

The tricky part was keeping the thinned icing from dripping off the sides. I think it'd be cool if it worked, but I just think it's going to be a pain. I'd stick with the regular melted chocolate or candy melts.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 6

I had a neighbor, who after trying my cakepops thought she would give them a try. She tried using a chocolate buttercream instead of melted chocolate. BIG failure. She brought me over some to try and they were a mess! Tasty, but not neat at all. Plus, (bless her heart!) she made them the size of a small childs head! LOL Ok, I'm exagerating, but not by much. icon_wink.gif

letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 6

Crisseyann, that is so funny! I had someone ask me for help after they said they'd made up all of the cake balls, but they kept falling apart off of the sticks. When I went over to help, I found the balls of cake were roughly baseball size. After reshaping them, I think we got about 6 cake pops out of each ball. We laughed about it, and she said that the pictures of cake pops online made them look so much bigger. icon_biggrin.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 6

That's too funny, letsgetcaking! BTW....your chocolate dipped cupcakes are amazing! I'm going to have to give that a try. icon_smile.gif

letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks, Crisseyann!

Monizcel, have fun with your brownie pop project. Let us know how they turn out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%