Wedding Cake Disaster, Please Help!

Decorating By mattrcvt Updated 5 Oct 2012 , 3:26am by DeniseNH

mattrcvt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattrcvt Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 2:25am
post #1 of 4

So I'm a novice making a wedding cake for my cousin..wouldn't it figure. My practice cakes went well but the real deal failed! While transporting my 12x12 to its second layer to dirty ice..it cracked! An 8x8 double layer is supposed to set on top of it.. Do I need to remake the middle layer or do you guys think it'll hold?!

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 2:35am
post #2 of 4

Do you have some syrup sitting handy? Sprinkle that cake before you crumb coat it. Then plaster the crack well with buttercream.

I think you might have overbaked your large cake(s). I find the "recommended" baking times to be too long for the larger cakes.

mattrcvt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattrcvt Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 2:51am
post #3 of 4

I do have syrup handy! Use the buttercream now, let it chill then try to move it? What do you suggest?

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 3:26am
post #4 of 4

Whatever you do, get a better more sturdy board to place it on. Cracks mean movement but if you have a sturdy board, there won't be any movement hence no cracks. And with a good buttercream, you can fix just about anything. I would fix it on a sturdy board then put the board and cake in the freezer for an hour before attempting to removing it to place it on the next tier. All the best to you. Let us know how it worked out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%