Help Asap With Ganache Filled Cake!

Decorating By luckyruth Updated 5 Oct 2012 , 1:20pm by letsgetcaking

luckyruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyruth Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 8

I tried a search but couldn't find an answer and need to get this cake done. Also making the groom's cake, but that I've got under control.

Making a wedding cake for Saturday. Ceremony is at noon (an hour from the hall). I'm a guest at the wedding.

Mom of the Groom wants to bring cake to the hall and leave it overnight. I'm making standard white cake, with chocolate ganache filling, butter cream icing.

Can this cake sit out for 24 hours with ganache inside? If not, need to know exactly how long it can be out without refrigeration.

Also considering fondant icing, if that makes a difference, but have never done a fondant covered cake of this magnitude (14" bottom layer) and don't want to screw it up!

TIA for your help and advice!

7 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 8

What does your written agreement say about delivery?

I don't think it's very smart for the MoG to ask you to deliver a day ahead of schedule...if that's what your post really means. When people plan and commit to deliver a cake on Saturday, there are many reasons why asking for Friday just doesn't make sense.

Not to mention, is the MoG paying for it? No? then she needs to keep her nose out of the contract. You have no reason to discuss date/time with her if somebody else is paying.

luckyruth Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 8

MoG is my best friend, and she is the one who asked me to make the cake for her son's wedding, with the full approval of bride and groom. I'm a hobby decorator - there is no contract. So I'm just trying to find out what will be best for the cake. I am concerned that leaving a ganache filled cake out for 24+ hours isn't a good idea.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 8

OK so you have to play amateur shrink here. MoG wants to be sure that the cake will be there on time...

Here is the biggest issue: if you take the cake out of the fridge for 24 hours, the middle is completely warmed up by the time the party starts. MUCH bigger chance of somebody causing damage if they bump the cake, when the icing is soft all the way through.

There is also this: if somebody comes into the venue overnight/early and starts moving the cake table, there could be a disaster. You and the MoG would only find out after the ceremony--and you would not have much of a chance to fix the problem, again on a soft cake.

I have delivered cakes a day ahead ONLY if the wedding was in a private home where everybody understood that it wasn't to be touched or moved.

Take the time to call MoG and assure her that the cake will be safest overnight in your house rather than at the venue. If she wants to "help" by taking it there herself, also decline politely. Try not to give her details, just say "it's safest with me".

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 8

From the wording of your question, I assume you're asking if the ganache will hold up and be okay to eat if left unrefrigerated. From what I've read, I think it depends on the recipe, but there are ganache recipes that can be left unrefrigerated.

Here's a link to a non-potentially hazardous ganache recipe

http://www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/Resources/Recipes/ChocolateGanache.aspx

luckyruth Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you letsgetcaking, that's my current dilemma as well. I think instead of going straight from church to venue, I'll stop home and get the cake and bring with me to wedding. Hopefully there won't be too many guests there yet, and I can get it in and situated without being bumped!!

Thanks too Irene for your advice. Luckily, the venue is closer to home than the church, so I should be able to make the detour to home and get cake and bring with me to reception.

Wish me luck, my first wedding cake!

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 8

I hope it all goes well for you! Remember to post pics too! icon_smile.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 8

That sounds like a good plan. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%