Flavor Pairing For Pumpkin Cake

Baking By anorris3 Updated 5 Oct 2012 , 1:15am by icer101

anorris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anorris3 Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 6

My husband has requested a pumpkin cake with caramel frosting for his birthday (today). I plan on doing a pumpkin bundt cake with a caramel glaze/frosting. I would like to have some kind of surprise filling but am at a lost (and very short on time!) for what to do. A quick google search gives me a standard streusel filling but that didn't catch my eye too much and it kind of makes it feel breakfasty. I am open to cupcakes but a bundt cake seems so much easier.

Any ideas?

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 6

Surprise: use skor baking bits layered into the pan with the batter. You can mix in chopped nuts if he likes them.

So you fill the pan: layer of batter, leayer of skor, layer of batter, layer of skor, layer of batter. Use one package total.

It tastes great.

anorris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anorris3 Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 6

Sounds like a plan. I had to google what skor was and then I recognized it immediately although I don't think I have ever had one. I am not sure how that is possible given my sweet tooth! I wanted to introduce chocolate to the cake in a inconspicuous way so I think this will be perfect! Plus my husband will have no idea what it is which makes it a good surprise.

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 6

I am planning to make a chocolate pumpkin cake and have been thinking that a "baked apple" filling might be yummy! I plan to chop apples into little bits, sprinkle with cinnamon in the oven with a little butter until soft. At least in my mind it sounds good icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 6

For a chocolate pumpkin cake, I would fill with a mix of chopped-up white chocolate and nuts. And maybe think about mole spices in the batter...

I like the baked apple theme with a plain sour cream cake batter (no vanilla), that way you get the full impact of the apple and spice without them fighting for attention with the chocolate...

OK so I believe in the "rule of threes": chocolate-pumpkin-spice or apple-spice-sour cream.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 1:15am
post #6 of 6

oh my goodness!!! I just seen this one. Saved it for me. Looks so delicious!!! Will make it for Thanksgiving.

http://hungryrabbitnyc.com/2011/11/cinnamon-caramel-pumpkin-cake-w-banana-rum-filling/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%