Huge Cracked Bubbles In The Fondant!! Aka Cake Farts!

Decorating By Ebrohier Updated 5 Oct 2012 , 12:07am by Ebrohier

Ebrohier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ebrohier Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 4

Hi guys
I am very new to this, recently trained @ Planet Cake in Australia, living in Singapore. Whilst my on 2 weeks @ Planet Cake i did the basics and intermediate course and loved it got on really well and did an amazing job on all my cakes. Back to Singapore with 90% humidity and working with ganache, was okay as i was told to add 1880g to 2kg of good quality dark coveture chocolate to 600ml cream.. all was fine.. but i just keep getting these air bubbles in my cakes (cake farts) sorry or language.. but i have no other way to describe them and the worse thing is they appear after i smooth the edges, and decorated the cake and transferred it to my cake board.. so i am stuffed and cannot remove the fondant and recover it. I have been told that it is because my cake hasn't been brought back room temperature is that true? I store all my ganached cakes in the wine fridge where there is no humidity. The annoying thing is that on practice cakes where i am not giving them to someone it has been fine!! It is cakes that are for orders and need to go out.. i am gutted.. please can someone help? I am doing another run (practice this weekend) in the hope to solve this issue and get back on the band wagon icon_smile.gifouch.gif looking forward to comments

3 replies
kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 4

there was a huge thread about this not too long ago. I'll see if I can find it for you. Basically the agreed upon thought was that if you are covering your cake cold this could be causing the issue. when your cake comes back to room temp it has no way to escape and causes a bubble. some have suggested sticking a pin in the cake somewhere near the top so that the air can escape. (preferable in a spot you can stick a topper or flower or something over it. good luck! hope you find a good solution!

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 4

What she said ....

I had the same problem. Once I stopped storing my cake in the cooler the problems went away.

I ice my cake and let it rest over night on the counter then place my fondant on the next morning and let it rest for at least an hour before decorating.

Good luck!

Ebrohier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ebrohier Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 12:07am
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for your all your help. If you can find the thread for me that would be great. I am so new to this and this forum.. I am so glad i found this forum as I was so distraught and almost gave up, but don't want to because i know i can do it and and i have the skill to do it. So letting it rest on the counter for at least over night and then placing the fondant and then another day before decorating is the other way to go.. thank you guys. Looking forward to getting the thread re this problem icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%