You've Gotta Try This!!

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 4 Oct 2012 , 5:13pm by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 4:38am
post #1 of 5

I didn't want to keep talking about this on another poster's thread - figured it would be better to start a fresh one.

The talk about coconut flavoring started me thinking and I had to try something (I'm sure this has been done before, so humor me! icon_wink.gif) I used 1/3 C virgin coconut oil, 2/3 C hi-ratio shortening, 1 lb powdered sugar, a pinch of salt, and some finely shredded coconut that I toasted on the stove - oh and I thinned it with some regular cream. It is WONDERFUL!! It was smooth and light and smelled and tasted deliciously coconuty - and also it crusted!

I'm anxious to try it with some white chocolate - I loved fannie may's original trinadad truffles - the chocolate centers covered with white chocolate and crunchy toasted coconute on the outside.... it's already awesome on chocolate cake, I can't imagine how wonderful it would be with white chocolate in it!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
ellawillow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellawillow Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 5:29am
post #2 of 5

Oh - yum......this sounds divine and definitely putting it on the 'to do' list.....

icon_smile.gif

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 5:29am
post #3 of 5

some yummy.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 5

Slightly off topic, but...

I add white chocolate to cake batter by grating it in. Box grater, same holes you use for carrot cake... It never seizes, and it melts into the cake while baking without any adjustment to recipe. But you sure can taste it...

I made a coconut cake using this http://www.gracefoods.com/coconut-products/grace-coconut-cream-detail . I used a sour cream coffee cake recipe and grated this package of solid fat into the 2 cups of flour--no shortening or butter. I loaded it with coarsely grated coconut too (didn't measure). I then used canned coconut milk for the liquid. STUPENDOUSLY good if you like coconut.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 5

That sounds amazing BakingIrene!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%