New Cupcakery- Need Some Advice And Tips

Baking By amandarach4 Updated 4 Oct 2012 , 4:14am by scp1127

amandarach4 Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 4:01am
post #1 of 3

first off, let me introduce myself. my name is amanda. I am a stay at home mom to 2 beautiful girls, Aubrey (almost 2) and Baileigh (4 months). I started an at home cupcake business- ABCupcakes. I am currently selling custom orders and found boxes and inserts for those. (I sell them by the dozen.) I make everything from scratch. My mother-in-law has a local food market and wants to sell some of my goods- cupcakes, cake pops, buckeyes, etc. My only issue right now is that I need help finding good packaging that is cheap but doesn't look cheap. I want to portray the look of a chic boutique? my boxes are currently pink and my logo is pink and gray. I'm not sure what baggies to use for my cake pops, what containers to use for my cupcakes, and how I should package my buckeyes. I also have no clue how to price these! per dozen I sell "regular" cupcakes for $25 and "specialty" for $30. but i don't know what to do individually. I am distributing in Columbus Ohio if this helps since pricing is different based on your area. I will take any tips that anyone has! thank you in advance!!! 😄

2 replies
vgcea Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 4:03am
post #2 of 3

Nice-looking packaging options: www.brpboxshop.com

scp1127 Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 4:14am
post #3 of 3

Hi Amanda, the Dept of Ag, that regulates CFL will have your answers.

Make sure you can wholesale, and especially wholesale from home under CFL. Then you need to know the rules for packaging. If it is packaged, it will most likely need a label... also usually a must with wholesale.

Once you get that done, you will know what you can use. Wilton makes many treat bags, but if this is a business, you will want wholesale or bulk prices. I get the Wilton bags, find the ones that work for each project, and then find bulk with the same dimensions online. For example, google, "bulk 3 x 5 plastic bags".

The same goes for candy boxes. What you find to work locally can always be bought online. I put my candy in mini and standard muffin liners and then box them. This is a fun use for those crappy liners that won't bake, but look pretty.

As far a cheap/pretty, I don't think that exists. In my business, I use BRP pink boxes that are pricey, but for everyday in my store, I'll use cheap white boxes with the others available if the dessert will be a gift. Save the money if they are buying from a case. But if the products will be on display in the boxes, splurge. People eat with their eyes first. No matter what you choose, you just put the cost in the price. People know they are paying for a fancy box. But everyone likes a little luxury in their life. That is what my business is based on.

Good luck with your new business and make sure your cards with a website address are always available so that you can get more sales.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%