Cake Delivered 2 Hrs Late. How Much $ Should Be Refunded?

Decorating By babyblue113 Updated 19 Dec 2012 , 7:53pm by Annabakescakes

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 21

This happened to someone I know. This made me think what would I do if I were the cake decorator who delivered an order late. This ever happen to anyone?

20 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 21

Luckily, I have never endured this disaster. I think it would depend on a few elements. How upset is the bride? Did it arrive in time for dessert (some people have a grand entrance for the cake)? What were the circumstances surrounding the event (was there a time mix up or some other catastrophe which caused delay)?

All of these would influence just how much I offered. The good news (I'm guessing) is the cake was right, the cake arrived, & the guests were able to eat the cake!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 21

Unless this was due to a mix-up or miscommunication on the customer's part, or something completely beyond the baker's control, 100% refund is due. Period.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 12:48am
post #4 of 21

So what if the cake never showed up at all (for whatever reason)? I think that's worse than late. Would you refund more than 100%?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 3:00am
post #5 of 21

If it threw off the pictures, the cutting, or the serving, I would refund 100% if it was my fault. But if I was stuck in traffic due to a car wreck, no refund. I think we all deliver with wiggle room, but sometimes events are way out of our control.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 4:12am
post #6 of 21

No refund. I mean, you give very little as far as specifics, but as long as the cake is there in time for the cake cutting, it's in my contract no refund for anything.

I have 3 weddings at various times this weekend and we have Fleet Week, the America Cup. a Giants game, a 49ers Game, the Presidents Parade, and a few other events that are going to make moving around my city in a car near impossible. I'm literally giving myself 2 hours to go 7 miles but still - if I'm late, there isn't much I can do about it. As long as the cake is there, I have done all I can!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 21

I think it would depend on how pissed off the client was and how much it disrupts the party when it's delivered. If it's not a big deal and nobody cares then no refund, but if the cake was supposed to be sitting on a table in the center of the room with a spotlight on it the story might be different.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 21

Lmao! There is no flipping way I would refund 100% because it was late, unless the party was over when I got there. Most cakes aren't served until the end anyway!! If it looked like the room was clearing, I'd think about up to 30%, but not likely more than 15%.

If I'm ever not done with a cake in time, it is because I misjudged the work involved, which means I didn't charge enough in the first place!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 8:15am
post #9 of 21

Anna, I can picture you with your hands on your hips!!

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 1:32pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

If I'm ever not done with a cake in time, it is because I misjudged the work involved, which means I didn't charge enough in the first place!

LOVE IT! Never thought about it this way. Makes total sense.

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 6:50am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Anna, I can picture you with your hands on your hips!!

Haha, I guess I'm a bit passionateicon_wink.gif

venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 20 Oct 2012 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 21

you have already had lots of replies re refunds etc so I am going to recommend that you deliver to your venue as soon as you can on the wedding day. I dont know how things work in the US from the venue's point of view.
When I have a wedding cake delivery, I find out what time the weding party will be arriving at the venue and arrange delivery to aviod them completely. Some venues may be open for suppliers from 9am for example. So long as it is not scorching hot day (not many of those in the UK) or the cake will be sitting in sunlight/hot marquee I deliver it very early.

Hope this helps
Amanda x

candycorn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycorn123 Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 1:27pm
post #13 of 21

haha .like that!

Nixs247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nixs247 Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 12:43am
post #14 of 21

I agree with Venus Cakes....

You would need to find out the scheduled timetable for the Bride & Groom and to ascertain what the opening times for the venue are or to liaise with the appointed wedding coordinator/planner.

If the cake is still delivered late which has disrupted the Bride & Grooms timetable then you should consider a discount (that percentage will be your discretion) as compensation or goodwill which ever way you want to look at it.

If lateness was out of your control and you tried to convey the message across (to the Bride & Groom/Wedding Party) as soon as you were aware of the situation then maybe a compensation/goodwill could be avoided, if not then you will need to explain yourself as I would not be impressed if I was the Bride, and the shoe was on the other foot.

Just my two pennies worth.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 21

AFor me a delivery two hours late/two hours past my projected delivery time would still be gteo hours before the reception/party started. Always deliver early. The cake can sit at the venue as easily as it can sit in my kitchen.

BomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BomCakes Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 3:16am
post #16 of 21

OOOhhh..Two weeks ago I was due to deliver a cake about 55 minutes away. Got the address in the GPS, drove the 39 miles of country roads to the next county and pulled into the country club where I was to deliver. I was about an hour before the reception was to start, Perfect! Only when I got in the door and spoke to the manager to ask where the cake table was he said "There is no wedding reception here tonight."

I'm sure I must have turned white as a sheet because I just KNEW I was about to hurl. He was a gem and looked up all the country clubs in the county and let me use the phone in his office to call around..and none of them knew what I was talking about either! Everyone had to have heard me mumbling , "Oh NO Oh NO Oh NO!" under my breath as I whizzed out of the building. By this time I had one half hour until the start of the reception. I raced out to the car and started pouring over my notes! I had typed in the wrong name of the country club which was now 25 minutes away!

So over the river and through the woods, and about 5 small towns and thank goodness my Hubby was driving that day because I was close to freaking totally out. (I have a fear of being late, always have had, I dream about it etc .Kookoo, oh well,) He hit every bump and stop light while I called the correct country club to explain my snaffu (didn't hand out the real reason I was going to be late, stupidity) they met me at the door and the cake table was just inside. 4 minutes to spare!  *4*.

B&G were still getting pictures and no one cared that I walked in last minute. Except me. Learning experience for sure! 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 3:51am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

No refund. I mean, you give very little as far as specifics, but as long as the cake is there in time for the cake cutting, it's in my contract no refund for anything.

I have 3 weddings at various times this weekend and we have Fleet Week, the America Cup. a Giants game, a 49ers Game, the Presidents Parade, and a few other events that are going to make moving around my city in a car near impossible. I'm literally giving myself 2 hours to go 7 miles but still - if I'm late, there isn't much I can do about it. As long as the cake is there, I have done all I can!

I would LOVE to ride along with you on those deliveries. I mean...wow. 

AZCouture Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 3:57am
post #18 of 21

Ugh, reminds me of this wretched planner I did work for way back when. She would give me a time to deliver knowing I liked to be done and gone from the site at least an hour prior to any guests arriving, and several times I walked into the reception going full blast! So embarassing! 

Annabakescakes Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 4:14am
post #19 of 21

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Ugh, reminds me of this wretched planner I did work for way back when. She would give me a time to deliver knowing I liked to be done and gone from the site at least an hour prior to any guests arriving, and several times I walked into the reception going full blast! So embarassing! 

I had a big problem with a super dry room and MMF on a 4 tier cake and guitar grooms cake about 5 years ago. The fondant kept cracking and tearing and I think my tears I kept wiping on my sleeves finally moisturized the room a bit, and I got the cakes done and left the house at the time the reception started.... I felt so embarrassed walking in all those crowds of people... But I (used to) watch Buddy walk in late like that to make a grand entrance! I wonder if the guests thought that's what we were trying to do? Lol

AZCouture Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 5:45am
post #20 of 21

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I had a big problem with a super dry room and MMF on a 4 tier cake and guitar grooms cake about 5 years ago. The fondant kept cracking and tearing and I think my tears I kept wiping on my sleeves finally moisturized the room a bit, and I got the cakes done and left the house at the time the reception started.... I felt so embarrassed walking in all those crowds of people... But I (used to) watch Buddy walk in late like that to make a grand entrance! I wonder if the guests thought that's what we were trying to do? Lol

Well, had they been 10 tier marvels that shot fireworks and glitter, maybe I could have acted like I was the shiznit. But they weren't...so I slunk in and out as quick as I could. :grin:

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Dec 2012 , 7:53pm
post #21 of 21

AWith that cake, I had to stay and serve it with pink cheeks, I knew the bride and my husband knew the groom, so we just went outside for a while, then went in a cut it.

For a cake recently, I was driving through construction with bumper to bumper traffic but had a 5 car length gap between me and the car infront of me. A line of cars jumped out in the gap, and the last Guy squeezed in, assuming I could just slam on my breaks and miss him, I guess...so I did, and the cake toppled right over ... I screamed (didn't help) and pulled over. It was fondant so I was able to take it home and "fix" it. But I was late to a place where the wedding and reception were Together. The "here comes the bride" started playing when we were setting up the cupcakes so we just pressed against the wall, watched her walk right past, then slunk out when they started with a prayer....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%