Decorating In Nova Scotia

Decorating By amberlou16 Updated 10 Oct 2012 , 11:01am by Springwillow

amberlou16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlou16 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. I've recently moved to Nova Scotia from Ontario and am having a hard time dealing with the dampness here when it comes to decorating. I find that my fondant gets sticky/melty and even my usual buttercream will not hold up. I made a 3d car cake this week and the buttercream started sliding off the cake. After painting it all the fondant stayed sticky.
Is anyone here from NS that could offer some tricks or tips for dealing with the damp weather?
Soo frustrated!!
AmberLou

4 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 5

Have you tried using a dehumidifier in the house? Keep the house sealed up and put the dehumidifier on. If you have your heat on already that should take care of it too.

I used to live in Thunder Bay and it was damp there too, I used my dehumidifier all the time.

Good Luck

HalifaxMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HalifaxMommy Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 12:21am
post #3 of 5

The humidity here in Nova Scotia, especially here in HRM is always high - the last few weeks have been absolutely horrid but seems to be settling out. I have never seen it under 70 % and I have been living in the city for 8 years now. The humidity is always going to be high due to the fact the entire province is a peninsula and surrounded by water.

This is a common complaint (high humidity) on the local cake boards and it seems that air conditioners are the way to go. I don't think a dehumidifier will help, well not in my kitchen anyway.

In all honesty give it a few weeks and the temperature will drop a bit and so with the humidex. What part of the province did you move too?

amberlou16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlou16 Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 5

I'm in Eastern Passage. I can't get over the difference here when it comes to dampness!!! It seems on a day when it's overcast, I just put all my supplies away and hope for some sun icon_smile.gif
Other than that, I LOVE it here!
Thanks for your advice, I guess an AC is going to be the way to go.

Springwillow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Springwillow Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 11:01am
post #5 of 5

Hi, I'm in NB and having the same problem. Hope you can get some ideas because I could use the help as well!

Good Luck

PS welcome to the maritimes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%