Structure Of Really Deep Tiers

Decorating By Snowflakebunny23 Updated 3 Oct 2012 , 2:49pm by BakingIrene

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 11:00am
post #1 of 7

Dear all,
I have been playing around with some new cake design ideas and would really like to do a multi-tiered cake with really deep tiers (maybe 1 foot or more). Thinking about how to actually do it though, I am a little stuck and would appreciate any advice - has anyone attempted this before??

I'm not sure whether to just stack lots of cake on top of itself and then cover as normal, or stack a few layers, then put in a dowel structure and board, and then repeat to the desired height before covering the whole lot in icing (fondant) afterwards. Obviously the first option sounds easier but I am worried that the weight of the cake above will squash the cake at the bottom and cause it to bulge...not a good look! I want a super-sharp finish with no lumps and/or bumps!

Many thanks x

6 replies
AngieV256 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieV256 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 7

HI! I have only done a few very tall cakes, but when I've done them I've split them into to a top half and bottom half. I doweled the bottom half and used a cardboard cake circle in between. This was more than enough structure since I wasn't stacking anything on top.
I think if your'e planning on multiple tiers like those. I would definitely dowel and maybe use foam core between the "halves" for extra stability.

As far as bulges, I would do super thin layers of icing, then just a really nice crumb coat, then leave the fondant a touch thicker than usual. Be carefull covering it, because I find the taller the cake, the more likely to tear at the top since all that weight is pulling down on it.

Hope your cake turns out awesome!

AngieV256 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieV256 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 7

HI! I have only done a few very tall cakes, but when I've done them I've split them into to a top half and bottom half. I doweled the bottom half and used a cardboard cake circle in between. This was more than enough structure since I wasn't stacking anything on top.
I think if your'e planning on multiple tiers like those. I would definitely dowel and maybe use foam core between the "halves" for extra stability.

As far as bulges, I would do super thin layers of icing, then just a really nice crumb coat, then leave the fondant a touch thicker than usual. Be carefull covering it, because I find the taller the cake, the more likely to tear at the top since all that weight is pulling down on it.

Hope your cake turns out awesome!

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 7

What AngieV256 said is the way to go when making tall cake. If you are subscribe to Mycakeschool.com they have a great tutorial about tall cake
good luck thumbs_up.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 7

Use a support system for every 4" of cake height.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you both very much for your comments! Will definately check out the cake school as well. Just need to find the time now to have a crack at it...very excited!

Many thanks x

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 7

First of all, bear in mind the engineering requirements.

12" deep tiers are going to need HARD dowels and HARD boards every 4" deep. Three tiers each 12" deep is a bigger load than 9 tiers each 4" deep, because the nine tiers are more graduated in size. You MUST also plan for the much higher chance of damage from any side-to-side motion because the centre of mass will be a lot higher than a graduated cake.

Second, if you stack this at home then you will need a van and four weightlifters to deliver it to a venue. FYI. If you start a new fad, there will be plenty of cake makers who are not going to be happy...I personally think that a cake has to be at least 24" diameter to look properly proportioned at 12" high.

Important to remember that a cake is FOOD that is ideally going to be cut and served. The 4" sections are going to cut into more or less uniform slices. You MUST plan to use icing that has no doubt of being room temperature stable.

Last comment, I have seen many of these big cakes (serving up to 5,000) done in buttercream but NEVER fondant. Fondant of more than about 8" should be applied as a wide strip to the side of the cake, instead of as one piece on top and sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%