Need Advice! (Sorry The Post Is Long)

Lounge By Jessielynn21 Updated 2 Oct 2012 , 3:56pm by Jessielynn21

Jessielynn21 Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 5:47am
post #1 of 4

Gah! So you know how we all have the annoying family members? Mine is my sister in law, I love her to death, but I need help on a tactful way to say no. She said she would make her sister's wedding cake and asked me to teach her how to make fondant. I said yes thinking I'll give her a couple lessons and be done. Not so easy. It turned into "Jessie is making the wedding cake." I didn't even get asked to make it, just told. I am a full time collage student and do not have the time to make a wedding cake during the semester, been there, not doing it again. I told her no, but I know from experience that this is not the end of the story. How do I tactfully, but forcefully say no to her without ticking her off?

3 replies
Tails Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 9:35am
post #2 of 4

Contact the bride herself and politely tell her you have too many commitments so you cant make her cake, and you just wanted to make sure she knew so she wasnt left in the lurge. And then maybe give her the number of another baker who could help.

BakingIrene Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 4

Please do this in a polite letter to the bride so that your words cannot be twisted (they have been already). That's the easy part.

Your sister-in-law is a piece of work. Better "love" her with some gloves on...

I used to have a "friend" who would do exactly this to me--she would promise to cater a big party and then call me in to do all the prep work and cooking for 200--with NO PAY. Then she "borrowed" my rarest cake decorating book (Lambeth, the 1980 reprint) and gave it to another person to KEEP because I didn't "need" it.

That made me refuse to play her stupid game again. She hated my guts but I stuck to my position that I would NEVER step into a kitchen again where she was "cooking" the meal.

Jessielynn21 Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 4

Talking to the bride is a great idea. Thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%