Sponge Cake

Baking By bammcakes Updated 22 Apr 2013 , 8:25pm by taartenmaker

bammcakes Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 3:03am
post #1 of 4

I am a fan of box cake mix. I have several tricks that I use to doctor them up. One that I haven't been able to conquer is turning it into sponge for fondant covered cakes. Are there any suggestions?

3 replies
cabecakes Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 5:39am
post #2 of 4

I don't have a sponge cake recipe from a box, but I can share a recipe that was posted for public use on TLC of the Cake Bosss Sponge cake recipe. Here you go

Cake Boss Sponge Cake

4 lg  eggs at room temp
2 c  white granulated sugar
1 tsp  vanilla extract
1 c  whole milk
1/4 c  unsalted or lightly salted butter
get recipes @ goboldwithbutter.com
2 c  all purpose flour
2 tsp  baking powder
1/4 tsp  salt (use 3/8 tsp if using unsalted butter)
Beat eggs in large mixing bowl (with paddle attachment if possible) for 4 minutes. Do not shorten the time.
Add sugar and continue beating for another 4 - 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and stir on low just until combined.
In a separate, sift together dry ingredients. Add to eggs and sugar on low speed just until combined.
In a saucepan (or microwave) heat milk and butter just until the butter is melted. Add to batter, beat just until combined.
Pour into two greased and floured 8" pans.
Bake at 325 about 33 - 35 mins or until the middle springs back when touched, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let stand in pans for 10 mins. Then turn out onto a wire cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.

dagher86 Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 4

AHas anybody tried this recipe ^^^. ??

taartenmaker Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 4

Original message sent by dagher86

Has anybody tried this recipe ^^^. ??

I did and I love it, but I have seen lighter sponges, but those were from a cake mix ofcourse lol:D

Quote by @%username% on %date%